Looking at reflection advice please

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all,

solo is now 9 months old. we have had a heat wave here for 10 days.

I’ve just put him in his cage for the afternoon, & he is displaying some behaviour that he hasn’t shown before.
He is bobbing his head up and down & spinning, it seems to be to his reflection on the side of his water dish, making new sounds, sort of electronic, almost like he is trying to say β€˜good boy’ to himself and lots of chuck chuck/chick chick machine gun noises.
I’m not worried, as he is quite happy playing with the nearby toys as well, but I just wondered what you all thought ?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hi all,

solo is now 9 months old. we have had a heat wave here for 10 days.

I’ve just put him in his cage for the afternoon, & he is displaying some behaviour that he hasn’t shown before.
He is bobbing his head up and down & spinning, it seems to be to his reflection on the side of his water dish, making new sounds, sort of electronic, almost like he is trying to say β€˜good boy’ to himself and lots of chuck chuck/chick chick machine gun noises.
I’m not worried, as he is quite happy playing with the nearby toys as well, but I just wondered what you all thought ?
Probably hormonal? I know with budgies and 'tiels, their reflection is regarded as another bird, and during breeding season, they get super h*rny and want to mate with the "other bird" they see. So he's probably trying to regurgitate and impress his reflection.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Probably hormonal? I know with budgies and 'tiels, their reflection is regarded as another bird, and during breeding season, they get super h*rny and want to mate with the "other bird" they see. So he's probably trying to regurgitate and impress his reflection.
Thanks StormBica, I did think about that but wasn’t sure what sort of age that might start. I wondered if he might be too young still.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
9 months sounds kinda young for that for an ekkie, but I'm certainly no expert with baby birds. I'm thinking it's more just curiosity and play. If it's his reflection on the side of the bowl, it probably looks funny to him, like those old fun house mirrors. :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thanks StormBica, I did think about that but wasn’t sure what sort of age that might start. I wondered if he might be too young still.
Hmm, well puberty is different for each individual. Or, like saxguy said, it could just be playing.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Thanks for your input guys n gals, it’s great to hear everyone’s experience and insight x

Most Reactions