Looking for a 100% bird safe air purifier for my bird's room

Hi!!

It may depend on what model air purifier you have, but with just the brand and the fact that it's a HEPA purifier, I looked the device up on Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/Febreze-FHT170W-HEPA-Type-Tabletop-Purifier/dp/B00OE7P5CI?th=1

I had a hunch, but if you take a look at the product description, you can see for sure that this device uses scents.
View attachment 59659

Now, I'm not sure if you're using this exact model of air purifier or a different one, but I think it's probably pretty safe to assume that they all "add a fresh scent," given the Febreeze brand.

Scents of ANY kind are not safe for birds. Air fresheners (like Febreeze) are definitely dangerous. Even something natural, like essential oils, can quickly become harmful, but synthetic scents like Febreeze are famously unhealthy for birds (and actually, they're not good for cats & dogs either!!!)

You don't need a fancy air purifier by any means, just a HEPA air filter. Most secondary features, like scents or ionizers, are harmful... so the simpler, the better. I personally use a Levoit: https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Purifiers-Freshener-Core-Mini/dp/B09GTRVJQM/
Yes that is mine the table top one. I have it in my bedroom and thatā€™s where my birdie sleeps too. I do not use the scent feature ever. I have to say that little air purifier is a workhorse for my own allergies as well :) thank you so so much for answering my query

I did notice that the scent pods appear to be sold separately so if you don't use a scent pod, just a HEPA filter, it's probably fine. But if you detect even the slightest "fresh scent" coming off of the HEPA filter then I'd stop using it personally.

We have like five air purifiers in our house because of all the animals--it really does make a huge difference with our breathing too lol!! We also periodically vacuum the filters between replacements, and I learned the hard way that knock off cheap filters don't work nearly as well as the brand name ones! Not sure if you've noticed the same.

I did notice that the scent pods appear to be sold separately so if you don't use a scent pod, just a HEPA filter, it's probably fine. But if you detect even the slightest "fresh scent" coming off of the HEPA filter then I'd stop using it personally.

We have like five air purifiers in our house because of all the animals--it really does make a huge difference with our breathing too lol!! We also periodically vacuum the filters between replacements, and I learned the hard way that knock off cheap filters don't work nearly as well as the brand name ones! Not sure if you've noticed the same.
No scent from the hepa filters I get not only would that be bad for the bird but Iā€™m allergic to perfumes. Iā€™ve not tried vacuuming them Iā€™ve heard some cold have done that with success. I may try that. I do buy unnamed filters either in a 2 or 4 pack they work well. The amount of stuff on them when I change them is significant. Iā€™m going to try going back to the name brand that youā€™ve mentioned thatā€¦, see if I notice a difference after using no name ones. Good idea

I have 2 of these - see link below.

I have three different models from different companies in my house the past 15 years or so. This one is more or less a mid to high quality one, in the mid-range of both price and volume it can handle. But I got these on sale at the time for $150 which seemed like a bargain. One of these in the bird room has been enough. Had this model for two years. There are different sizes for different room volumes, etc. Just check the recomended size for the room in question. This particular model was listed somewhere as a top pick for birds on a bird vet website as I recall when I was looking, but as others have pointed out, the HEPA parts of the filter are more or less equivalent. If you happen to buy one with an ionizer function simply don't use it - in other words just don't turn on that function. The really important thing is to clean it out often. You HAVE to do that - the feather dust doesn't magically disappear. Take the parts outside and shake, use a blower, or a vacuum, or all three, to clean them monthly, and replace when necessary. With parrots it is not subtle, and feather dust is probably one of the most intensive jobs such a filter can face. There are ususally 3 components to take out and clean - a coarse screen, a charcoal layer, the the HEPA filter proper. As with all appliances make sure it is set up in a way where the cord is impossible to get to - my TAG in particular has been a fan of chewing on any cord he has access to for the last 29 years. Hope this helps someone a little.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back