Looking for advice on picking the right bird

AnnBrown

Sep 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Parrots
Razberry, Galah (rose breasted) Cockatoo
Celine, sun conure
I personally have a Galah Cockatoo and have fostered many breeds of birds but now it is time to pass the love of birds on to my son (age 8). I know I know most people would advise against this. This choice to allow him to get his own bird was not taken on lightly at all! He has a list of requirements he has to meet before I will get him a bird.

1) read 4 books on parrots (minimum of two different breeds) and write a report on the care of the bird including what type of training he plans to use and why
2) he has to learn to clean the cage properly by helping me take care of Raz's cage and stand.
3) he has to interview with our avian vet and get her seal of approval.
4) He has to save up the money to buy toys and food for the first month. He also has to show sustainable income enough to support the bird with food and toys.
5) He must also earn 300 points. in our house in addition to getting an allowance for doing chores my boys earn points. each chore is worth 1 point with an average of 5 points for day if all chores are done correctly. They can earn extra points by going above and beyond what is expected of them.

All this being said. The choice of what type of bird to get will ultimately be up to him. (we are giving him a price limit) Though I guess my problem comes in that I want to guide him twords a breed that will be more of what he wants but there are some breeds that I just do not have that much experience with.

what breed would you recommend (budget max of 200-300)? we need something that can handle a busy house hold. The birds (mine and my sons) will be housed in top and bottom style cages after a 30 day quarantine. They also will each have there own stand but will still be in the same room so no one who is too pushy or demanding. My Galah is a relatively quiet bird... she really only fusses when I do. (she likes to help discipline the kids... I dont have to yell just change my tone of voice and she starts to fuss at them also) So not a breed that is know for being overly noisy.

we have specifically been doing research on GCC, Quakers, Love Birds, Parrolets. avoiding Cockateils as that was my husbands one request (long story but he had a BAD experience)

Also do you see anything I am overlooking to help my son prepare for this?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My vote would be GCC.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Since let's face it, you will be the "real" supervising owner, are you kind of asking about a family parrot? Something you and your husband will be into as well, but something child friendly? BTW, the different kinds of parrots are called "species" not breeds as domesticated animals are called. Even parrots within the same family or genus, are also refeffed to as different "species" ;).

Although there are many people out there who grew up as children in a household with parrots, or perhaps had a real "parrot person" as a parent and were exposed to them at a young age, you will have to go into it knowing that anything but the very tiniest of species can leave a pretty deep and bloody wound on tender 8 year old flesh. I know of people who have been bitten very badly as a child, but still grew up to be a parrot lover nonetheless. I realize you have a parrot of your own so you probably know how hard they are capable of biting. Are you going to be okay with risking that? If so, I'd examine how much time you will need for an additional parrot, especially of a species that can be more demanding of attention.

Please don't discount a sweet handfed Budgie or English Budgie. I added a couple of these cuties to my flock after years of keeping parrots, and I'm glad I did. If you find a hand fed through a breeder (not a big chain pet store), you can end up with a hand tame and super sweet pet that can be trained as well as any parrot. Tiny beaks aren't intimidating, and fwiw they're very adorable little birds.

I think it's great you're teaching your son to look at the fact that with keeping pets comes responsibility, and it isn't just all about human self fulfillment.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! :)

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
My vote would be GCC.

I second this. Green cheeks are incredible birds. Playful, intelligent, they will grow with your son. They aren't very loud in my experience (but Suns oh my GOODness). I think that a green cheek well-handled will give your son everything he hopes for and more. :)

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Green cheeks tend to be a little more quiet than some of the other conures, but they can still be loud. Of the choices listed, I second gcc

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sorry I just noticed you already have certain species you've been interested in. I did read it the first time, but must not have clicked in my brain :). Good luck whichever you end up choosing.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My parents made me do a similar amount of research and saving ect... when I got my first pet (I picked a gecko though, not a bird). I still have him.... it'll be 20 years, if he can make it to August. I think it's great your making him put in some effort and show his dedication for a pet he will have for a really long time (even the smallest budgie can live 10-15+ years:) I think you have a great plan!

I think a conure would be the most 'exciting' choice, but they do have very long lifespans of 30+ years. That means your son would have a bird like that way into adulthood. Depending on the individual, a lovebird or parrotlet might be a good option. Some of them can be very sweet little birds with the personality of a big parrot in a little body;) I didn't see budgies on your list, but as Julie said they can be wonderful little parrots and I agree that I wouldn't write them off as a possibility for your son. Some of the "english" budgies can be quite large too, much bigger than the normal ones you see in Petco.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pick the one that also chooses him would be the best advice. Regardless of species.

a.bird

Mar 12, 2016
Parrots
Osky-peach faced lovebird
I would vote lovebird! Mine is the sweetest thing and I got him when I was 7. He tends to be pretty quiet unless the radio is on or someone in the family is making a ton of noise. Whatever you chose will be perfect, though, I'm sure.

Most Reactions