Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
Hi There

Question please!

Diesel is looking scruffy. He is around 2 years old and he seems to have a patch of end 'stalks' or spikes of feathers now showing though above his beak and always seems to have several white 'fluffles' regularly showing though and poking out through his plumage when before it was all smooth and green.

I was wondering if he was missing something in his diet or unhappy, but his behaviour is just the same as ever, he's a gregarious chatty little man.

Is this feather change normal?
Plumage3108141_zps2112d54c.jpg

Plumage3108142_zpsfb8f839f.jpg

Plumage3108143_zps8742320b.jpg

I agree with the above posters. He is just molting, which is how a parrot gets rid of old feathers to make way for new ones. They do look scruffy for a while and during the molt you will see those "spiky" things, which are new feathers (called pin feathers). Parrots typically molt in the late summer/early fall, and some years they have a heavier molt than others. Most people I know who have parrots all have birds who seem to be having a heavy year (including my bird:(). Within a month-6weeks he should be looking back to normal, actually, even better than before!:) It's never a bad idea to up his intake of fresh produce during a molt, just for an extra boost:)

What a handsome fellow! I agree with all the above. My birds have just gone through a heavy molt. Those pin feathers can be uncomfortable, sounds like your little guy is handling it well. Some birds get grouchy to say the least. In addition to the fresh veggies and fruits, extra baths or warm mist can help soften the shafts on the pin feathers a little faster and help with the discomfort.

He is just mouting,nothing to worry about, apart from fruit and veggies , include dome peanuts n sunflower seeds, a little bit of oil seeds wil help them , see my max now on my other post.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back