onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi guys! This is the start of a thread where I will write up some tutorials for tricks I've taught Ona.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional bird trainer and these tutorials were written based on research and what worked for me. I am also not a perfect bird trainer and am always learning and improving my training technique myself. Bird training is a skill you have to learn! Always listen to your bird's body language and do what works for you. Please remember to always be patient with your bird when training. Tricks are not learned overnight and making mistakes is how your bird will learn. Ona does not do every trick perfectly every time either, and this should never be your expectation. Have fun with it, be patient, and take things slow. Remember, BEFORE you start training you need to find a good training treat your bird loves! Only give this treat during training sessions. Keep training sessions short, no more than 20 mins at a time!

I will post a table of contents linked to posts where I will write about each trick! The grayed out items are posts I have not written yet but tricks I could write about in the future. Please let me know if anyone has any requests from the list :) I'll add more to the list when Ona learns new tricks I can share!​

Beginner Tricks - start here:

Target Training

Recall & Stationing

Spin

Intermediate and Advanced Tricks:

Fetch

Basketball

Ring Toss

Wave

Colors

Last edited:
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
⚾ Fetch or "Ball" 🏀

Lovely Ona's demonstration of this trick:

I highly recommend teaching this trick because it can be used as a building block to teach many other things! It will help your bird understand the concept of you pointing at objects for them to focus on. This trick is a prerequisite to basketball.

Please note: This trick takes time to teach! I worked with Ona on the trick for about a solid month before she was very consistent with it. (She was about 4 months old at the time we learned this.) Above all else, have patience!!

I recommend using a mini Rattan bird ball for this trick. You can find them on Amazon and several bird retailers.

This trick can be broken into three primary steps: 1. picking up the ball, 2. dropping the ball into your hand, 3. increase the distance.

1. Picking up the ball:
The first step is getting your bird to pick up the ball. To get started, put your bird onto a safe, flat surface like a table-top and have your training treats nearby and ready to give. Put the ball on the table near your bird and start picking up the ball yourself while your bird watches.

If your bird is scared of the ball, PLEASE back up here and do not move forward until your bird can be near the ball without running away. This may take time if your bird is fearful of new objects. If you are using a brightly colored ball and your bird seems fearful of it, try switching to a more neutral color instead. Do not move forward until your bird can comfortably stand next to the ball.

Repeatedly pick up and put down the ball in front of your bird. Pause between several times of you fiddling with it to see if your bird will pick it up themselves. Immediately, as soon as your bird picks up the ball, say "Good!" in a very excited tone and give your training treat. Keep repeating this until the bird is picking up the ball as soon as you put it down in front of them. This will take time! Do not expect to achieve this first step in just a couple sessions. You will need to keep working at this until your bird picks up the ball consistently.

Here is Ona demonstrating this step (she already knows the trick at the time of this demonstration):

2. Dropping the ball into your hand:
For this next step we need our bird to understand we want them to drop the ball into our hand. This is the most difficult part of the trick. This is the step I spent weeks on with Ona to really get her to understand what I wanted. Be prepared to take the time and be patient.

When your bird picks up the ball, place your hand - palm up and ready to catch - near your bird. As your bird drops the ball, chances are it will eventually land in your nearby hand. As soon as this happens, offer a treat and lots of praise. Even if the ball does not go perfectly into your hand at first, still reward them if they are dropping it near your hand. It may bounce of one of your fingers and roll away at first, but still reward to start. Over time as your bird gets better and better at this, you can refine when you offer the reward and only give a treat when the ball goes perfectly into your hand. It is very important that you always keep your hand very close to your bird and don't make them walk to place the ball in your hand.

At this step, I found it helpful to work with Ona at the very edge of the tabletop. I would place the ball on the edge of the table, hold my hand so my fingers are just overlapping the edge (see my hand position in the first video of this post), and she would drop the ball. A lot of times it would just go on the floor. Other times it would either land in or bounce off of my hand. This is when I would reward. For quite a while she would just throw the ball on the floor. But over time and with lots of practice, she began placing it in my hand. After she got really good at landing the ball in my hand, I would also make sure to practice holding my hand over the flat surface of the table instead of just at the edge.

At this stage I also started incorporating my phrase for this trick. I say the word "ball" when I hold out my hand. You could say "fetch" if you like that better.

Ona demonstrating this step:

3. Increase the distance:
Here comes the fun part! Once your bird is very consistently dropping the ball into your hand, you can start increasing the distance between your hand and the ball! Start small at first and work in increments. Begin by placing the ball just a few inches from your hand. Once your bird drops the ball into your hand form this short distance, keep increasing the distance. Eventually your bird will be able to walk to retrieve the ball and will walk back to drop it your hand!

Recommended resource:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
⚾ Fetch or "Ball" 🏀

Lovely Ona's demonstration of this trick:

I highly recommend teaching this trick because it can be used as a building block to teach many other things! It will help your bird understand the concept of you pointing at objects for them to focus on. This trick is a prerequisite to basketball.

Please note: This trick takes time to teach! I worked with Ona on the trick for about a solid month before she was very consistent with it. (She was about 4 months old at the time we learned this.) Above all else, have patience!!

I recommend using a mini Rattan bird ball for this trick. You can find them on Amazon and several bird retailers.

This trick can be broken into three primary steps: 1. picking up the ball, 2. dropping the ball into your hand, 3. increase the distance.

1. Picking up the ball:
The first step is getting your bird to pick up the ball. To get started, put your bird onto a safe, flat surface like a table-top and have your training treats nearby and ready to give. Put the ball on the table near your bird and start picking up the ball yourself while your bird watches.

If your bird is scared of the ball, PLEASE back up here and do not move forward until your bird can be near the ball without running away. This may take time if your bird is fearful of new objects. If you are using a brightly colored ball and your bird seems fearful of it, try switching to a more neutral color instead. Do not move forward until your bird can comfortably stand next to the ball.

Repeatedly pick up and put down the ball in front of your bird. Pause between several times of you fiddling with it to see if your bird will pick it up themselves. Immediately, as soon as your bird picks up the ball, say "Good!" in a very excited tone and give your training treat. Keep repeating this until the bird is picking up the ball as soon as you put it down in front of them. This will take time! Do not expect to achieve this first step in just a couple sessions. You will need to keep working at this until your bird picks up the ball consistently.

Here is Ona demonstrating this step (she already knows the trick at the time of this demonstration):

2. Dropping the ball into your hand:
For this next step we need our bird to understand we want them to drop the ball into our hand. This is the most difficult part of the trick. This is the step I spent weeks on with Ona to really get her to understand what I wanted. Be prepared to take the time and be patient.

When your bird picks up the ball, place your hand - palm up and ready to catch - near your bird. As your bird drops the ball, chances are it will eventually land in your nearby hand. As soon as this happens, offer a treat and lots of praise. Even if the ball does not go perfectly into your hand at first, still reward them if they are dropping it near your hand. It may bounce of one of your fingers and roll away at first, but still reward to start. Over time as your bird gets better and better at this, you can refine when you offer the reward and only give a treat when the ball goes perfectly into your hand. It is very important that you always keep your hand very close to your bird and don't make them walk to place the ball in your hand.

At this step, I found it helpful to work with Ona at the very edge of the tabletop. I would place the ball on the edge of the table, hold my hand so my fingers are just overlapping the edge (see my hand position in the first video of this post), and she would drop the ball. A lot of times it would just go on the floor. Other times it would either land in or bounce off of my hand. This is when I would reward. For quite a while she would just throw the ball on the floor. But over time and with lots of practice, she began placing it in my hand. After she got really good at landing the ball in my hand, I would also make sure to practice holding my hand over the flat surface of the table instead of just at the edge.

At this stage I also started incorporating my phrase for this trick. I say the word "ball" when I hold out my hand. You could say "fetch" if you like that better.

Ona demonstrating this step:

3. Increase the distance:
Here comes the fun part! Once your bird is very consistently dropping the ball into your hand, you can start increasing the distance between your hand and the ball! Start small at first and work in increments. Begin by placing the ball just a few inches from your hand. Once your bird drops the ball into your hand form this short distance, keep increasing the distance. Eventually your bird will be able to walk to retrieve the ball and will walk back to drop it your hand!

Recommended resource:

Yay! Thank you so much. Can’t wait to teach Mango some new tricks. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Loren, this is incredible! Thank you for doing this, I think it will help so many people with their birds. Please give the talented Ona a treat from her Auntie Terry ❤️

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
🏀 Basketball 🏀

Lovely Ona's demonstration of her FAVORITE trick:

Before you can begin teaching this trick, your bird must be good at fetch. All you will need for this trick is a basketball hoop, training treats, and a ball.

Here is the set I use with the basketball hoop. However, I recommend using a standalone basketball hoop instead that does not have the other trick toys attached to the same block. Having the ring toss and puzzle holes in the same set does cause some confusion for your bird when teaching them other tricks with this set. You can overcome this obstacle as Ona and I did, but overall a separate piece for each training toy would be easier to work with.

The three primary steps for this trick are: 1. getting used to the hoop, 2. dropping the ball in your hand while over/under the hoop, and 3. scoring the basket! This trick will not be learned in one session - don't try to rush it and spend a few days on each step.

1. Getting used to the hoop
To get started we will leverage the fetch trick your bird already knows to get them familiar with dropping the ball in your hand while your hand is near the basketball hoop. Start by holding your hand near the hoop, like this, but not under or over the hoop yet:

IMG_4869.jpg

Use the same verbal cue you use for fetch and reward as soon as they drop the ball in your hand, just like you would for the fetch trick. Keep at this step until your bird in consistently dropping the ball in your hand every time.

2. Dropping the ball in your hand while over/under the hoop
Next, you can place your hand over top of the basketball hoop, like this:

IMG_4870.jpg

And keep asking for the fetch trick again. Just like before, repeat until your bird is consistently placing the ball in your hand.

Now, you can place your hand under the hoop, like this:

IMG_4871.jpg

You may need to experiment with your hand position some here. I got stuck at this step because Ona would try to put the ball on my wrist instead of in my hand. Eventually I found that if I wrapped my pointer finger around the back stick of the hoop to get my hand as directly underneath as possible, it helped. I also deeply cup my hand to help ensure the ball goes through the hoop when she brings it to me.

Here is a video I took at the time Ona was learning this trick, when we were on this step:

The key here is patience, and only reward when the ball goes through the hoop and into your hand. In the video you will hear me still using the "ball" verbal cue that I use for fetch.

3. Scoring the basket!
Now for the most fun part! Phasing out your hand and making the basket! Again, experiment with your hand position here to phase it out. I began using less fingers when I cupped my hand, like this:

IMG_4872.jpg

Notice how I only have two fingers under the basket. Keep going like this for a while to build your bird's confidence, and then eventually take your hand away altogether. When you take away your hand, it helps if you point to indicate what you are asking, as I do here:

Point to and tap the ball, and then the hoop. As soon as your bird gets the ball in the hoop, praise and treat to make it clear this is what you want. In this step I also started introducing my new verbal cue after she started making some baskets.

She shoots, she scores!

Most Reactions

Latest posts