Losing neck feathers

greenpeeps5

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
My African Grey Timney has been rubbing the back of his neck with one of his toys, which I guess feels good, but it has broken off a lot of his neck feathers on the back of his head. He's not plucking or anything of the sort. I took that one down and he found another toy to rub the back of his neck with. They're not sharp.

He has a cage and large tree. The cage is open for him to go where he pleases all the time unless it's bedtime or I leave the house. I work at home, and he is around me all the time. He gets lots of attention, has lots of toys. He is a year old and talks well.
He is jealous of my little dog, when I cuddle with her he will scream or fly over.

I notice that he is molting. I just want to be sure that his breaking off those feathers (he's got pin feathers there too) is not a health issue or problem I should take him to the vet for or something I should worry about.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Has he seen a vet recently? There are a lot of skin conditions that can cause irritation and subsequent feather loss. Without a photo, I can’t really tell you if it is significant. If he’s never been to the vet I would bring him to one regardless; parrots hide illness and it’s difficult to tell when they’re sick until they’re seriously ill.

We have a resource thread for finding a local certified avian vet if you do not already have one:

OP
G

greenpeeps5

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
My African Grey Timney has been rubbing the back of his neck with one of his toys, which I guess feels good, but it has broken off a lot of his neck feathers on the back of his head. He's not plucking or anything of the sort. I took that one down and he found another toy to rub the back of his neck with. They're not sharp.

He has a cage and large tree. The cage is open for him to go where he pleases all the time unless it's bedtime or I leave the house. I work at home, and he is around me all the time. He gets lots of attention, has lots of toys. He is a year old and talks well.
He is jealous of my little dog, when I cuddle with her he will scream or fly over.

I notice that he is molting. I just want to be sure that his breaking off those feathers (he's got pin feathers there too) is not a health issue or problem I should take him to the vet for or something I should worry about.
Yes, he has a great avian vet. I had a conure before him for 23 years, so I already had this vet. I haven't taken him in for this, but he was seen for a check up right after I got him. The one thing is, if you call this vet, she is very busy and they'll ask if he's eating (he is) and it will most likely take me weeks to a month to get an appointment, but I'll call tomorrow. In this area, that's the way it is when you try to get any animal in to be seen. If it's not an emergency, you wait. Thanks for your recommendation.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It’s the same here. Usually by the time the appointment comes around I’m not even worried anymore. I’m not sure if this is actually proven or just hearsay, but I recall reading somewhere that Timneh greys are less prone to plucking or barbering.

I hope it’s just a heavy molt and it resolves itself on its own!

I had a timneh many years ago, my ex husband didn’t like her and pressured me to rehome her. I think about her pretty often and if sometimes wonder if I could track her down now, 12 years later. They’re wonderful birds.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

I would try misting or offering lots of baths. That might help the skin-at least old stuff would get washed off- and soften up the pin feather sheaths.

I suppose birds can have a difficult molt just like people might have a time with worse skin or unmanageable hair. ?

OP
G

greenpeeps5

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
It’s the same here. Usually by the time the appointment comes around I’m not even worried anymore. I’m not sure if this is actually proven or just hearsay, but I recall reading somewhere that Timneh greys are less prone to plucking or barbering.

I hope it’s just a heavy molt and it resolves itself on its own!

I had a timneh many years ago, my ex husband didn’t like her and pressured me to rehome her. I think about her pretty often and if sometimes wonder if I could track her down now, 12 years later. They’re wonderful birds.
He definitely isn't plucking. I saw him when he did it. He picked up a toythat had some wooden beads and rubbed his head and neck with it and acted like it felt good. I removed that toy. He is a wonderful bird. He is so funny. He watches TV and talksto it when it's on. I'm going to call the vet and make an appointment and if everything is grown back by the time of the appointment, I can always cancel it. Thank you for your answer (and how dare your husband, lol.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts