Losing nonfeathered pets?

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
Earlier today we had to take our cat Tigger to the emergency room. They don't know what he has but the things they're testing for are very serious. It has come to my attention that there is a possibility he might not make it. Now, he is 17, and much older than the birds (and older than me!). Pearl flies away from him occasionally and hisses at his tail, but I was wondering if she will be affected by his loss, as he is a constant in a variable household (i.e., something she is used to). Pearl won't miss him as much as we will, but will she be affected at all?

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I lost 4 cars over last summer to all sorts of different things ... brain aneurism, lung clot, poison, and saddle thrombosis. Today I put a sugar glider down . Loss affects animals in different ways. After I can home from the vet today sissy said awwww and she jumped on my shoulder and said kiss kiss , she knew Luna was sick in fact this morning she stood over the carrier protecting her and bite me when I tried to take her out and literally said stop that to me. So yea your bird will be affected by it At least that’s what I think
I’m sorry about your cat ....it never gets easy

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I lost one of my cats at age 9 just this past month (March 26) very suddenly, as in we found her passed away on her bed, a month after she had blood tests done to make sure she could go under for a lion cut and did fine.

It is going to be more of a loss for you than your birds, who will likely not notice. For birds I find it is 'out of sight, out of mind' with them. They will be fine, especially if they never interacted much. But they can pick up on YOUR emotions, that is very easy for all animals, including parrots, to pick up on. They will know you are sad.

OP
C

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
Update! Tigger is back from the vet. They found he was severely dehydrated and put him on IV, he stayed in the emergency room overnight. But he's home now, doing just fine (not liking the medicine). Going for a follow up vet appointment soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts