Love bird questions

Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Hi! I was wondering what age you should wait till you offer your lovebird a bath? is there anything I can do help bond with lovebird other than hold and play with him? This is the first time I’ve had a lovebird so I would love some advice!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello, what's his name?
What is his favorite food?
You will need this for training him.

Some of the bonding bridges are....

..Calling his name often

..Eat near him

..Let him eat from your plate

..Encourage various healthy food
such as boiled egg, boiled pumpkin, cooked spaghetti, cucumber 🥒

..Teach simple commands
Step up on a stick
Step up on a finger
Turn

As for the shower đźšż
I suggest you get him familiarize with a hair blower noise first. Try blowing your hair from a few meters away. Move closer everyday until next to him.

I would let him take it at his own pace.

On a sunny morning.....
Let him watch you put 1cm deep water in a shallow dish. Put your hand âś‹ palm down on the dish. Talk to him, tell him it is nice and warm. Let him observe that the water is shallow.

Wait for him to feel safe enough to jump on your hand in the dish. If he bend down to drink from the water, he feel safe. Let him jump on the water on his own. If he does, you might need to blow him dry on a cold day.

You will show us his photo, won't you?

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Thank you soooo much! I don’t have a name yet but I’m working on it. And he doesn’t seem to like any fruits I give him, I’m going to give him a hard boiled egg today and see if he likes that!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Thank you soooo much! I don’t have a name yet but I’m working on it. And he doesn’t seem to like any fruits I give him, I’m going to give him a hard boiled egg today and see if he likes that!

Introduction of new food depends mostly on familiarity and trust. For instance, leave unpeeled mango in his cage for a few days. Your buddy will get less afraid of the new smell. Then cut in small size so it is less intimidating. As for how to offer new food, this thread has detailed information.

Post in thread 'How to get my cockatiel to eat fruit' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/how-to-get-my-cockatiel-to-eat-fruit.91574/post-946126

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
WOW! Mashed Potato 2021 gave you the worlds BEST advice!! Super and awesome!!! WE are ALL Lucky to have you in this forum!!!! 🏆 Thank you for all you do!!

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Hello! I was wondering if it is safe to have a scented soy candle around a bird? I think soy is fine o just didn’t know about scents and stuff.

abababa

May 15, 2020
Bit late (and sincerely hope all is well) but wanted to say candles, or any open flames, and birds don't mix well. A bird basically can't hold it's breath, so to simulate their experience inhale - briefly and cautiously for your own safety - over a candle. Then imagine your lungs are 1/50th the size, so you just got that effect x50, and can't stop inhaling.

You'd likely be fine, if it's a sizable room and the bird can move away, but there are stories of birds dying to rooms with scented candles. It's not necessarily that the scent is immediately toxic, but the burning will be dropping the air quality in the room in a way a human won't notice but a bird can't escape or avoid, or even complain about in a way a human will understand (It'll go quiet, rather than draw attention). Going way back in the thread it's a bit like hairdryers - most are fine, and 99% not a problem, but a small number (particularly old ones) contain teflon, and can kill a bird if blown at them(!).

In general as a bird owner you need to be super-cautious of anything that gives off fumes. Birds are much, much more susceptible to them than humans, particularly in an enclosed space where they can build up, and the bird can't escape. It's generally not worth the risk to burn or heat anything in the same space as a bird (one of the main reason general advice is to never keep a bird in a kitchen).

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Bit late (and sincerely hope all is well) but wanted to say candles, or any open flames, and birds don't mix well. A bird basically can't hold it's breath, so to simulate their experience inhale - briefly and cautiously for your own safety - over a candle. Then imagine your lungs are 1/50th the size, so you just got that effect x50, and can't stop inhaling.

You'd likely be fine, if it's a sizable room and the bird can move away, but there are stories of birds dying to rooms with scented candles. It's not necessarily that the scent is immediately toxic, but the burning will be dropping the air quality in the room in a way a human won't notice but a bird can't escape or avoid, or even complain about in a way a human will understand (It'll go quiet, rather than draw attention). Going way back in the thread it's a bit like hairdryers - most are fine, and 99% not a problem, but a small number (particularly old ones) contain teflon, and can kill a bird if blown at them(!).

In general as a bird owner you need to be super-cautious of anything that gives off fumes. Birds are much, much more susceptible to them than humans, particularly in an enclosed space where they can build up, and the bird can't escape. It's generally not worth the risk to burn or heat anything in the same space as a bird (one of the main reason general advice is to never keep a bird in a kitchen).
Thank you for all the information!

Most Reactions