May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Now I know how this may sound but I'm NOT complaining abt my budgie's personality. But does anyone else ever wish they had a different bird cuz budgies dont live very long? There is so much I wish they could see, do, feel, that they'll never get to. Just cuz they dont live as long as bigger birds. I love them like crazy and they have been the one stable thing in my life. My parents, however are very scared that they will die if I so much as take them out of my room. I try to explain that some risks are worth taking, and they wont live long anyhow, so I want to fill them with amazing, enriching experiences. I just..... anyone who has only had budgies will understand. They may be more scared, flighty, and independent than bigger birds, but they are also CRAZY playful, caring, and loving. But because I cant cuddle them and stuff, mom and dad think my bond with them is too weak to do anything. Sometimes I just get so jealous of bigger birds because people take their bond more seriously, and they live longer. I cant imagine all the singing, dancing, playing, head tilts, spinning (like crazy), dragging my stuff around and hiding it, and just the everyday interaction coming to an abrupt halt one day. Especially Stormy. He is like my soul-bird, he knows me, and I know him. But he is the oldest. I have experienced what life would be like without him when he flew away for 4 days...... I genuinely wanted to die. Life was like the worst thing ever without him. I was being ungrateful and I hated myself for it. This is my vent, my experience, my worries, and my want for change. I dont know what to do.
-Oliver Rose

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi,

I think I get what you feel. Budgies are really amazing and so happy, they are blessed creatures! They also have so rich personalities and yes, one can make a strong bond with a little parrot.

I used to spend several hours of my afternnoons when I was a teenager just observing my 15 budgies interact. They taught ma a lot! Now, after several year without a budgie in my home, I have one once again and it brings wonderful memories and of course new experiences!

Regarding budgies lifespan, Charlie lived for 29 years, another budgie Also named charlie is 22 years old and there are others with 17 years...https://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-sheets/pets/pets-pet-care-native-animals/australias-oldest-budgie/

So I think you might still have them around for a long, long time...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
IMO Budgies are so under-rated! I had one when I was 15y.o. (50 years ago :eek:) and he was the COOLEST little guy. Wally-Boy was his name...sky blue in color with white and little specks of black. Mom got him for me for my birthday. He cost $4.95usd. Got him from a department store,he was about 2 months old. He was finger trained in 3 days. I'd come home from school and he would start with his chirping to come out of his house. I'd do my homework at the kitchen table as he buzzed around,landing on my hand and fighting with my pencil. I'd put a small empty pill bottle on the table and watch him roll it around swearing at it and push it off the table then look at me,chirping as to say"well??are you gonna get it for me?"
He would take showers as the kitchen sink faucet dribbled on him,fluffing up and rolling around on the sink board. He'd fly full speed down the hall into the living room and hang upside down from the large mirror swooning the other budgie in the mirror.
Saturday mornings have cereal for brekky,he'd sit on the bowls rim,help himself to rice krispies and sometimes JUMP into the bowl filled with milk to take a bath:eek:
Mom had a kitty..Moe was an indoors cat. Sometimes Wally would land on Moe's back as she walked down the hallway ( wayyyy before we understood that this wasn't a good thing to do)
Sadly,one night mom was going out and didn't realize Wally was on her shoulder:15: off he went,into the neighbors tree singing his heart out. We tried everything we could to get him to come down but he wasn't interested he was having too much fun.
The next day he was gone,flew off somewhere never to be heard from agian.

My grandma had a budgie for 18 years. A budgie can/will give you years of joy..don't be afraid to do things with him/her the rewards will definately out weigh any bad things you think will happen.

Jim

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
When I got my budgies and did my research, it seems that nowadays (with reasonably good pellet diets & providing veggies, etc) the Expected lifespan for budgies can be anywhere from 5 to 15 years. I mean a lot of dogs or cats are gonna be Old at 15 years. So that's only really short if you're comparing to birds that are expected to outlive you...

I am glad that you love your birds. There is often a trade-off between Safety vs Happiness, we all have to figure that out for our own birds as best we can, within our own circumstances. Keep taking good care of them and give them the best life you can.

Most Reactions

Latest posts