Lovebird companionship with a plum headed parakeet

Fanny

Jun 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
Ruby faced female lovebird, will be 2 soon. Recently had male lovebird of many years pass.
Greetings fellow bird lovers, I have an almost 2 yr. old female ruby headed lovebird who lost its partner 2 months ago. She seems fine, just lonely. Always looking out of various windows watching other birds and nature outside.
With that said, I am considering a companion for her; either a young male lovebird or a young plum headed parakeet. Know another lovebird would be ideal, but would like to know if a lovebird could co-habituate with a different species.
Thank you for your input, means so much to me and ā€œCleopatraā€.
Fanny

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi- the plum headed parakeet and lovebird are very different sizes and I would worry that maybe the lovebird could get hurt by its larger buddy if they had physical contact. That being said, a lovebird is pretty feisty and might be fine.

If you mean to put the birds in two different cages in the same room, I canā€™t see there would be a problem. If you mean to put them in the same cage, then you might have difficulties due to the different sizes and temperaments.

Can you tell us more?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Plum headed parakeets and lovebirds are from two totally different continents. Having a cockatiel sharing a cage with a budgie can be ok.. but I don't think a plum headed parrot and lovebird should be in the same cage.

OP
F

Fanny

Jun 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
Ruby faced female lovebird, will be 2 soon. Recently had male lovebird of many years pass.
Hi- the plum headed parakeet and lovebird are very different sizes and I would worry that maybe the lovebird could get hurt by its larger buddy if they had physical contact. That being said, a lovebird is pretty feisty and might be fine.

If you mean to put the birds in two different cages in the same room, I canā€™t see there would be a problem. If you mean to put them in the same cage, then you might have difficulties due to the different sizes and temperaments.

Can you tell us more?
Thank you for the helpful advice. My female lovebird is pretty feisty, not tame because she was a mate for my male who is no longer with us. Just concerned if I get another male lovebird for her she might hurt him. She is very independent but lonely. I thought maybe a larger bird would keep her in her placeā€¦. Going to be patient, not rush into any decision and hopefully make the right decision. Reason says I should get another lovey. Going to wait a while to see whether she bonds one on one with me. My male was bonded nicely to me, sat on my shoulder or on top of my head and followed me everywhere, even believed the lettuce and veggies I had for salads/dinner were his to eat first. Miss himā€¦

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Budgies/parakeets get along with every other bird and get a free pass usually from the other bigger birds.....but I'd worry a little. They often follow the bigger parrot around like it's a sibling or parent. And LOVE to preen them. But if your bird isn't into that. Could be bad news.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you are afraid your lovebird will beat up another bird, then the other bird h could be just about any species but caged separately.

Or you could try getting a boy lovebird and caging him separately until they get to know each other. If they seem unhappy apart then you could try them together. I would move your bossy lovebird into the OTHER birds cage so sheā€™s coming into someone elseā€™s territory and has that disadvantage.

I donā€™t know if two female lovebirds can live together and get along. I have read and seen that female lovebirds are very bossy but I donā€™t know if two together would hurt each other or keep each other moderated.

OP
F

Fanny

Jun 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
If you are afraid your lovebird will beat up another bird, then the other bird h could be just about any species but caged separately.

Or you could try getting a boy lovebird and caging him separately until they get to know each other. If they seem unhappy apart then you could try them together. I would move your bossy lovebird into the OTHER birds cage so sheā€™s coming into someone elseā€™s territory and has that disadvantage.

I donā€™t know if two female lovebirds can live together and get along. I have read and seen that female lovebirds are very bossy but I donā€™t know if two together would hurt each other or keep each other moderated.
Hi thereā€¦. Thanks for the very valuable information. Gives me much to think about. Leaning towards another male lovebird but going to wait a while to see if she mellows out some and bonds more with me. My male was very bonded to meā€¦ we miss him

Most Reactions

Latest posts