MyFerociousChicken

Apr 18, 2024
Parrots
Chippy - 13 year old Quaker parrot male

Ellie - 15 year old Female Derbyan parakeet, passed away on April 17, 2024 due to malformation of developing egg
Hi,

I lost my precious Ellie on April 17, 2024. She was a 15 year old derbyan parakeet. She never laid an egg in her life and never had prior health issues in all those years. She ate a very balanced diet, was extremely active, and was the most loving, gentle, and calming presence I or anyone in my family could wish for, the perfect study or work buddy as a post secondary student. She went perfectly normal to downhill in the span of 7 days - even having undergone numerous vet visits during those days and taking every precaution known to man. The necropsy determined her body didn't know how to produce an egg, her first egg. The egg formed consisted of only a yolk - whilst the membrane grew around her heart and liver.
20230308_151746.jpg

She left behind her "little brother", a male quaker parrot who was adopted as a companion for her and became bonded to her for the the past 13 years. He is now distressed - he is a very social boy, always has been, and one of the requirements to initially adopt him back then was to have another parrot present in the household. He calls for her and she can no longer answer.

I want to find a companion for him (and for my grieving heart), ideally another male bird (I do not wish to revisit the risk of egglaying again with a female😞), ideally a quaker parrot, and young (<1 year), especially if it means it'll be easier to establish a hierarchy.

I'm not sure where to look though...

Ellie and my quaker Chippy lived in separate cages, same room, and they had a brother-sister relationship where one would tease the other in ways such as slowly inching into the other's personal space (when both perched on Ellie's cage), going into the other's food bowl to eat their food when they out (again, going into Ellie's cage), lightly tugging on the tail, etc. Ellie let Chippy overstep boundaries, she was shy, occasionally submissive, and extremely gentle in her warnings with him - never used her size to her advantage.

I plan to maintain the same arrangement - separate cages, same room.

I'm in Ontario Canada, and to surmise, I'm looking for feedback on where to start, as I have already begun looking into adoption centers, and I am not familiar with any breeders. I would not knock off the possibility of looking into adopting from a shelter in the US that may have difficulty rehoming a quaker given the restrictions in certain states.

Apologies for the essay

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hi,

I lost my precious Ellie on April 17, 2024. She was a 15 year old derbyan parakeet. She never laid an egg in her life and never had prior health issues in all those years. She ate a very balanced diet, was extremely active, and was the most loving, gentle, and calming presence I or anyone in my family could wish for, the perfect study or work buddy as a post secondary student. She went perfectly normal to downhill in the span of 7 days - even having undergone numerous vet visits during those days and taking every precaution known to man. The necropsy determined her body didn't know how to produce an egg, her first egg. The egg formed consisted of only a yolk - whilst the membrane grew around her heart and liver.
View attachment 58865

She left behind her "little brother", a male quaker parrot who was adopted as a companion for her and became bonded to her for the the past 13 years. He is now distressed - he is a very social boy, always has been, and one of the requirements to initially adopt him back then was to have another parrot present in the household. He calls for her and she can no longer answer.

I want to find a companion for him (and for my grieving heart), ideally another male bird (I do not wish to revisit the risk of egglaying again with a female😞), ideally a quaker parrot, and young (<1 year), especially if it means it'll be easier to establish a hierarchy.

I'm not sure where to look though...

Ellie and my quaker Chippy lived in separate cages, same room, and they had a brother-sister relationship where one would tease the other in ways such as slowly inching into the other's personal space (when both perched on Ellie's cage), going into the other's food bowl to eat their food when they out (again, going into Ellie's cage), lightly tugging on the tail, etc. Ellie let Chippy overstep boundaries, she was shy, occasionally submissive, and extremely gentle in her warnings with him - never used her size to her advantage.

I plan to maintain the same arrangement - separate cages, same room.

I'm in Ontario Canada, and to surmise, I'm looking for feedback on where to start, as I have already begun looking into adoption centers, and I am not familiar with any breeders. I would not knock off the possibility of looking into adopting from a shelter in the US that may have difficulty rehoming a quaker given the restrictions in certain states.

Apologies for the essay
** Hugs** It's so hard losing a loved one, no matter the species. As for finding a new bird - Ineke Montgomery of TweetieBeaks in Ontario has quakers and green cheeks, I believe at the moment. I'm getting a pionus off her. She comes highly recommended just about everywhere I looked!

OP
M

MyFerociousChicken

Apr 18, 2024
Parrots
Chippy - 13 year old Quaker parrot male

Ellie - 15 year old Female Derbyan parakeet, passed away on April 17, 2024 due to malformation of developing egg
** Hugs** It's so hard losing a loved one, no matter the species. As for finding a new bird - Ineke Montgomery of TweetieBeaks in Ontario has quakers and green cheeks, I believe at the moment. I'm getting a pionus off her. She comes highly recommended just about everywhere I looked!
Thank you so much, I will start with her 🙏

Most Reactions