Lovebird Lesson!

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I thought I'd post my quick guide on mutations. I'm by no means an expert, but I do like to study a lot and pester the real big breeders on a regular basis for information :rolleyes:

Peachface Mutations-

Creamino & Lutino
- INO is a mutation that is classified by red eyes. The Lutino is a vibrant yellow with a red face, while the Creamino is a pale yellow with a peachy sheen and orange band.

Seagreen- This is one of the most common mutations, I always hear it referred to as "a normal" Lovebird. The Seagreen is a green Lovebird that may come off a little blue in hue with an orange band across the head. The orange band does not come until sexual maturity and there is usually black on the beak of a Seagreen or any other green series mutation in the chick stage.

Opaline
- Opaline is often mistaken for some sort of Lutino. The head will develop a red sheen to it, it can occur on almost any mutation including Lutino or Green. This red sheen is strong but has almost an iridescent factor to it. This red will not fully show up until sexual maturity.

Orange Face- Orange Face is pretty much self explanatory. The face will have a very orange hue to it, the orange is evident on the chicks as well. This can also occur on various mutations.

Pied- Pied is classified by multiple colors on a bird. For instance a Pied Green will have yellow and green instead of the standard solid green. I like to think of this as a Paint Horse! The green series has a strong peach sheen and reddish band on the head, while the par-blue series has the normal orange band.

Just did a few major ones. I'll add on later, or if anyone has questions about a specific mutation. You can also check out the ALBS website :D
Lovebird Color Genetics Calculator

Most Reactions

Latest posts