Lovebird plucking feathers due to hormonal issues

Zfelis

Dec 23, 2020
NY,NY
Parrots
Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Parakeets
Recently I adopted a male three-year-old peach faced lovebird with a long-term plucking problem.

He plucked off all this feather from his back to his neck. His previous owner took him to the vet and the vet said it was hormonal issues that caused him to pluck off his feathers as his little girlfriend was on eggs at the time. However, the situation didn't get any better even after the eggs were taken away. The vet did not prescribe any sort of medicine. I bought some stress reliving medicine from chewy and dropped 2 drops of the liquid into their water every time (following instructions as directed on the packaging) but it didn't seem to have any effects.:confused::confused::confused:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What Avian Medical Professional are saying is: There are several reasons that Parrot's Pluck their feathers. Correcting the 'driver' very early in the process 'can' stop plucking. Once the Parrot transitions from a specific driver to a behavior response very little can be done to halt plucking. Some individuals have been successful in reducing stress in the Parrots and/or its environment.

Not every Parrot is perfect, but they all have a reason to be loved. Time to switch to keeping your Parrot comfortable and well loved, forever more.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Smartly stated above. There are often health issues linked with plucking.
Behavioral issues that lead to plucking are hard to resolve. They get a biological feed back like endorphins from plucking, and it becomes a way they deal with stress. It can a complex issue.
I have a plucker, and veterinarian determined Behavioral...sometimes she stops fir short periods, then keeps doing it. I still love her bare neck and all, she uses her feet to pull skin and feathers down then rips out with beak.

Most Reactions