Lovebird Training Help

Atticus

Jan 14, 2020
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum because I thought that I could use some help.

So I have a 15 month old Fischer's Lovebird named Atticus and a two month old Budgie named Scout (like from the book to kill a mockingbird). Both are male, and Scout is hand tamed. However Atticus, unfortunately, has had a traumatizing past and as a result the taming process with him is very slow and feels like its going no where. Let me explain.

So we live in Pakistan, and there are no breeders here. Almost a year ago we got Atticus from a pet store with REALLY bad conditions–and I mean REALLY bad. There were maybe 10 or 15 birds cramped in a space not even fit for two birds, and on top of that most of them were sick and/or dying of disease and depression. Atticus was born in that store and spent the first 6 months of his life there. I mean, we weren't just buying him, we were rescuing him.

Last edited:
OP
A

Atticus

Jan 14, 2020
sorry, I forgot to add that we cannot find any stores that sell treats near us (Pakistan is really not a pet bird friendly place lol) although he does have a mild interest in sunflower seeds, which we do have. he also never had a toy in his early life so he doesn't know how they work and is deathly scared whenever we try and put something new in his cage even if we slowly introduce it to him. he once had a swing which I think he enjoyed but he kept on destroying it so I dont know if we should replace it? he also has chew toys which he tolerates but I dont know if he likes them or hates them by the way he tries to destroy them lol. also sorry if I forgot to clarify but we do not have scout yet. if you think it will jeprodize the training, just give the word and we will tell the family we are taking him for that we cant do it.

any help is much appreciated. I want to form an amazing bond with Atticus that will last years and I want him above all to be happy, im sure there bird owners will understand :)

Last edited:

Susan1

Feb 18, 2017
Sun City West, AZ
sorry, I forgot to add that we cannot find any stores that sell treats near us (Pakistan is really not a pet bird friendly place lol) although he does have a mild interest in sunflower seeds, which we do have. he also never had a toy in his early life so he doesn't know how they work and is deathly scared whenever we try and put something new in his cage even if we slowly introduce it to him. he once had a swing which I think he enjoyed but he kept on destroying it so I dont know if we should replace it? he also has chew toys which he tolerates but I dont know if he likes them or hates them by the way he tries to destroy them lol. also sorry if I forgot to clarify but we do not have scout yet. if you think it will jeprodize the training, just give the word and we will tell the family we are taking him for that we cant do it.

any help is much appreciated. I want to form an amazing bond with Atticus that will last years and I want him above all to be happy, im sure there bird owners will understand :)
God Bless you for rescuing Atticus. I have had birds all my life (parakeets, Cockatiel,
24 years cockatoo, 10, Blue Crown conure, 37, Indian Ringneck, current 25, and I am 72 and love and recommend Birdtricks.

jameslejass

Jul 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie
God Bless you for rescuing Atticus. I have had birds all my life (parakeets, Cockatiel,
24 years cockatoo, 10, Blue Crown conure, 37, Indian Ringneck, current 25, and I am 72 and love and recommend Birdtricks.
What a rich experience you have, not everyone can boast of such a long love for birds, it was hard for me personally to endure the loss of my first one, but for half a year I got together and got myself a new one! Although initially there was a great pain in my heart and I didn’t want anything more

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
@Atticus - birds destroying stuff is how they play, so yes replace anything he destroys! Sometimes if they see you playing with a toy, they understand it is to be played with. Handle it, squeel with joy and delight, it works sometimes! Patience is always the way with parrots, whose idea of acceptance is GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brains. Use those sunflower seeds as your training treat, I;d cut them in half or 1/3'rds, cuz too many is not good for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts