Lovebirds and quails

Labbie

Jan 23, 2013
Dunedin New Zealand
Parrots
Rainbow lorikeets Rosie and Mollie. Peach faced lovebirds Pixie and Missy. Peach faced lovebirds Storm and Blossom. Blue masked lovebirds Alfie and Millie.
Hi Guys,

I have just had my new aviary finished, I have lovebirds. I am thinking of getting some quails, I have never had them before. I am wondering if anyone knows how well they would get on in the aviary with the lovebirds?
Thanks

foxgloveparrot

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Media
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon) Lilla (senegal ๐Ÿ’”) Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (budgies) Cricket (parrotlet)
I know very little about quails. But in general, it's not a great idea to mix species, even in a large aviary. Sometimes it does work out, but most times it doesn't, and quails and lovebirds are very different, so I don't think it would go well.
Then again, someone with more quail experience might be more helpful than I am.

OP
L

Labbie

Jan 23, 2013
Dunedin New Zealand
Parrots
Rainbow lorikeets Rosie and Mollie. Peach faced lovebirds Pixie and Missy. Peach faced lovebirds Storm and Blossom. Blue masked lovebirds Alfie and Millie.
I know very little about quails. But in general, it's not a great idea to mix species, even in a large aviary. Sometimes it does work out, but most times it doesn't, and quails and lovebirds are very different, so I don't think it would go well.
Then again, someone with more quail experience might be more helpful than I am.
Thanks for your help

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-)
RIP Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Not a good idea. Poultry carry a ton of diseases and parasites that they can absolutely transmit to parrots, that parrots do not have any natural adaptation against. I used to have a small flock of conturnix quail and rehomed them recently due to the ongoing bird flu outbreak in the US, but even before I did that I always made sure to change shoes and thoroughly wash my hands before going into the parrotโ€™s area after dealing with the quail.

Also, coturnix quail can be extremely aggressive. Before they met their end in a cookpot, the โ€œextraโ€ males we had announced their pubescence by scalping the females and other males alike in a horomone-induced frenzy. I would not want to see that turned onto a smaller bird.

Also - I donโ€™t know what kind of flooring you have in your aviary, but quail require a high protein gamebird mix to thrive, which means their stools reek to high heaven. The smell is nothing like parrot poop. Parrot poop smells like sunshine and roses by comparison - and I have owned chickens and ducks in addition to quail, so Iโ€™ve smelled it all, haha!

Most Reactions