OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
Whew, yesterday was really rough.
I tried to modify her step up behavior so i'm holding her foot. Part of it is for any expected turbulence, part of it is to get her used to feet touching.
She was not happy. She hated it so much. I got bit at least 20 times yesterday. I fully admit it was my fault. She did not want any of it and I needed to slow down. I did end up breaking down after a bit.

Frankly, it's been a rough month for my mental health and my emotions have been a wreck. After crying for a bit, I decided to slow it down. She obviously wasn't comfortable with it so I stopped and just rewarded her every time she stepped up and let me hover my thumb over her foot.

Also, I think Luna is in love with my roommate and beards too lol.Every time she sees him, she screams so loudly. Louder than I've ever heard her scream. Even when she wants my attention, she doesn't scream that loud. She's always so excited to step up for him and will lunge at me if I try to take her back. She never turns down a treat though so a slivered almond piece will bring her back.

She heard him upstairs today with some of my other roommates, she wouldn't stop screaming for him. I eventually took her up after she quieted down for a bit to see him. Instantly she got quiet. She saw him, then ran off my arm right onto his. She was so good though and didn't go for her shoulder even though she really wanted to.

After he left, she was happy to come back downstairs again.
She also loves my friend's boyfriend who has a beard as well. I'm not sure if it's because her previous owner had a small beard but that's my theory.

I was playing video games with my husband a little later and I didn't think much of it.
Luna was on her stand playing with her toys. We were going through an intense moment so we kind of lost track. When we finally finished the game, I look over, and this little miss piggy was sitting in her treat bag eating all the almonds she wanted.
I'm not sure how many she got but no more treats today lol.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
I finally have my phone back so here's a video of Luna bathing in her water dish when I didn't take her up to shower for a day.

[ame="https://youtu.be/Xa4qgWvUm_I"]video 1560885467 - YouTube[/ame]

I really had a scare recently where I thought Luna was sick. Honestly, I'm still unsure but I think my brain is playing tricks on me. I had noticed that she was breathing just a teensy bit harder most likely from playing as people on the forum had informed me. A bunch of her poops were watery, although she did have a few solid ones. Then on top of that, she had lost weight. Not much at all, like...less than 1 gram. I realized though I hadn't been training her as much lately too so she hasn't gotten nearly as much seed/nuts.

Honestly, I'm still extremely paranoid!! I don't know how everyone does it. I'm always worried all the time my pets are sick. I've always been that way but since recently having pets again, it's come back in full swing! Today and yesterday has been a nervous wreck.

She's been working on carrier training lately. I can place her in the carrier now. Reluctantly, she'll go in because she knows she'll get treats. I can only close the front for about a minute or so but I'm planning on seeing if I can move the carrier around the room today.

The final plan is hopefully she can come on walks with me in her carrier. I was considering the harness but I've seen hawks in our area and she gets spooked very easily. Maybe in the future when I feel more confident on reading her but for now, we'll put the harness on the back burner.
I'm hoping to also get her used to being toweled. We tried to get her bloodwork done but she hated that towel so much. She was thrashing all around and the vet couldn't get a proper blood sample. If anyone has any tips on this, please give them to me! The vet has recommended I play peek a boo with the towel more but I don't think it's working...she really...really hates it.

Adding onto that, she's started to hate being covered at night. I really wish I could leave her uncovered but my husband gets up early in the mornings and we don't sleep until 2 hrs after her bed time. We've considered putting her cage in another room but I don't feel comfortable. There's no way to regulate the temperature like I do in our room.
We're looking to move out of our current rental soon without roommates so Luna can get her own room.

OH also, she dropped another one of her clipped feathers this morning! It's very exciting. I can't wait until she can fly.

Last edited:
OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
I think something is wrong with Luna after all. She acts fine during the day but at night, I can tell something is up. She's not eating as much and she seems lethargic.

Tonight, she was pacing around her cage after I covered it during her bed time for almost 40 minutes...
I could hear it and I was worried so I checked on her and turned the lights on. She bit me really hard, not enough to draw blood but she was very scared. This was the first time I had to get perches to break her biting cycle. Just...stepping up until she seemed to calm down. Then, I put her back inside, she paced a little more and then settled down.

I'm really...really worried about her.
We're going to make an appointment for the vet as soon as they open on Monday.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Well then.
I went to the vet.
Got bloodwork and fecal test done.
And....

Nothing was wrong!
Luna is acting as normal again these past few days and she hasn't lost weight again. So I don't know what that was but as long as she's okay. $400 is a hefty bill but I was planning to get bloodwork done sometime as a baseline anyway. The first time I brought her in she was freaking out too much in the towel and they couldn't get a sample. This time she calmed down just a bit.

Anyway, here a photo of Luna. She flew around the room and decided to look out the window. Then afterwards, she didn't know how to get down so she flew around again and perched up there again;;

WZf0mol.jpg

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
My friend finally was able to get Luna's new cage to us! We also got a huge pine cone and some new perches for her. It's smaller than her previous one but much more vertical and has a playgym at the top. I don't imagine she'll be using that playgym too much for as she prefers to be by my desk. Unfortunately the cage is a little too big to fit where her current playgym is.

She was kind of scared of it at first but I put some millet (a rare treat for her) in the bowl and she was eager to step right in. Now she seems happier with it after we also moved some of her old things inside.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x42rsFV51U&feature=youtu.be"]July 12th New Cage! - YouTube[/ame]

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
I always feel weird updating a bird forum about my personal life. Mostly, I feel like no one actually cares about it either lol. Often times it's just me rambling in these posts about nothing as I do. Life has been alright though. We're just trucking along and doing our best. Husband got a small raise though but it's awesome because it means we have a little more money for ourselves so I can buy toys again (I'm a big fan of mystery boxes >>)! I'm currently looking for a job since I finally can look for work. It's been...well...job hunting I guess. I'm hoping in Fall when students go back to school I can find something.

Luna's been doing great. She's really taken to broccoli lately and loves the little florets. Still not too hot about carrots. I've been thinking of trying to get her different types of veggies to try because she often gets bored of the chop mix. I just feel awful because I'm not a big veggie eater, but I really need to try more. Especially for my own health, my husbands, and Luna's.

She's been doing great with training lately. She's able to jump to my arm reliably with a visual and audio cue. Not flying to me quite yet, she's not ready but she'll do short flaps to my arm. I'm very slowly increasing the distance to hopefully be able to target her across the room or something. She's always very food motivated and she loves training. She gets so excited and pitter patters her little feet.
Big thanks to everyone on the forum for this though. I wouldn't have been able to even get her to this point without everyone's advice. It's been frankly a god send all the advice and threads. I hope to continue to increase my knowledge being on here.

Here are some short videos and picture.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChCUspzNH8&feature=youtu.be"]video 1563674972 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvsHZg7k84&feature=youtu.be"]video 1563674958 - YouTube[/ame]

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Sorry I haven't been around everyone. Luna is doing fine. She's getting really good at flying. I've just hit a really really rough patch of depression. It'll pass. It always does.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
BUMP!

Hi Munami!!

I hope all is well with you and Luna and Hubs ;)

I've been following your thread. So nice to read little Luna being a rascal and a great fid!
Just commenting here..She has a lot of traits my BB has. He was just 4.5 months old when he came home to me and Amy and I lived a lone at the time..soooooo...he is VERY bonded to me! NEEDS to be with/on me constantly :mad: SCREAMS if I leave the room just to even PEE :mad::mad: I tell him I'll be right back but he doesn't want to hear it. He is in love with my hand!! constantly wants to do the "chaa-chaa" on it. If I shoo him away he is right back at it in seconds. P.M.O. at times.
If on my shoulder he'll either run from side to side or growl and nip at me if I try to get him to step-up. He does that with my brother too..sit on his shoulder and demand head skritches then growl and hiss!

Bathing he thinks he is allergic to water. WONT do it! Sooo..because I have no problem being able to handle/hold him,when I take a shower he sits on the curtain rod until I do my thing then I turn the water temp down to where it is cool to me,as not to scald the poor boy,and he hops right onto my finger and I move him in and out of the shower head stream,then i can hold him in my hands and open his arms (wings) and wash his pits,spread his rudder (tail) wash that and his keester and basically drench him and he doesn't mind,coz DADDY is paying attention to him lol.

anyway...we hope all is well with you guys,an update with pictures would be awesome (hint hint ;))

jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts