sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I’ve gotten good info on my BFA biting me just out of the e blue before and I’ve been paying attention to his body language a lot more now! However , although I havnt had an issue in a while just these past couple of days he has started lunging at me when I walk past him…today he as at face level and had I need just a tiny bit closer he would have bit my face ! It’s kind of disheartening! Yesterday the same. When i get him out of his cage in the morning I used to scratch his head and kiss him but I can’t now because he lunges at me as soon as he out. Do other amazons just lunge out at their person when just walking past them??

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
They lunge when they are pissed off about something. THink back on the last few days, have you done anything unusual or different? ANything. Fed him late, or different food, or didn;t spend enough time with him or put him to bed early (or late). Its surprising what they can get pissed off about.

Apologize profusely, with lots of treats and dont do that again.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
FYI: It's December in the Great White North and it is the beginning of Hormonal Season and especially for the Big Hot Three Amazons, which includes your BFA. So, in addition to possibly pissing your Amazon-off, the start of the season only makes that much easier!

Not sure whether you are using the 12 /12 sleep schedule or the Up at Sun Rise and Sleep time at Sun Set. The 12 /12 method may needs to be adjusted to 10 /14 schedule and if you are following the Sun, your likely not following it closely as Cloudy days, bed time comes earlier!

I have a DYHA that we keep on the Sun Schedule and it's been cloudy today and its early, but he is ready for bedtime.

If this is your first Hormonal Season, you need to read with deep understanding the Thread regarding Understanding Amazon Body Language as your Amazon has likely been telling you. That Thread can be found at the top of the Amazon Forum here on Parrot Forum.

A loving relationship with an Amazon is very possible during Hormonal Season, you just need to be more aware of your Amazon's emotional status before you stick your face in his Bill! Out of cage and active is an important part of an Amazons day.

Also, cut sugar sources this time of year and assure that sleep is longer This will not 100% stop the on slot of a Hormonal Flow!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
As I was reading this thread I was formulating my response until I read Sailboat's response, which took all the thunder out of mine (EDIT: Maybe I should have said 'Took the wind out of my sails) .
I actually do shoot for 12-14 hours of dark sleep during this time of year.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t know where you’re at, but we just started to get snow. I wonder if seeing that change out the window would scare a parrot?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure whether seeing snow falling would scare a Parrot (The Sky is Falling, type of thing). That likely depends on the Parrot and whether one is have a lite snow or a blizzard.

The onset of Hormonal Season for Amazons is dependent of time of year, commonly seen with the change in the length of the day's light, diet and environmental (lifestyle) of the home.

A Serious Warning for Amazon Owners: Avoid stirring /encouraging /enhancing the Chemical Flow. They have zero control over the flow and to do so will only increase the danger of being attacked /seriously hurt. It is better to simply step back and allow the flow to reduce with time.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
You aren’t alone, sherylb! Kirby has lunged at me a few times this week, and on top of that has flown off his playstand several times because I am doing something WRONG - he especially is offended by wrapping presents in his presence, lol! The crinkly paper noise gets to him.

The holidays tend to involve a lot of weird things for us humans - lights, wrapping presents, cooking smells, onset of cold, shorter days, etc. This converges nicely with their hormonal season as Sailboat has already indicated. Both of my birds are normally pretty polite but right now they’re a bit more edgy.

I’ve found Kirby is REALLY enjoying his shredding toys more than usual this year, and it’s a great opportunity for some aggression displacement. Does your BFA like that sort of thing? Maybe you can add some to their Christmas list!

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
They lunge when they are pissed off about something. THink back on the last few days, have you done anything unusual or different? ANything. Fed him late, or different food, or didn;t spend enough time with him or put him to bed early (or late). Its surprising what they can get pissed off about.

Apologize profusely, with lots of treats and dont do that again.
Haha that’s so funny! I think they are Bipolar!! Ya I hadn’t given him the attention he’s wanted and he lunged at me after I kissed my husband!! Haha. Maybe that was the reason for that time!

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
You aren’t alone, sherylb! Kirby has lunged at me a few times this week, and on top of that has flown off his playstand several times because I am doing something WRONG - he especially is offended by wrapping presents in his presence, lol! The crinkly paper noise gets to him.

The holidays tend to involve a lot of weird things for us humans - lights, wrapping presents, cooking smells, onset of cold, shorter days, etc. This converges nicely with their hormonal season as Sailboat has already indicated. Both of my birds are normally pretty polite but right now they’re a bit more edgy.

I’ve found Kirby is REALLY enjoying his shredding toys more than usual this year, and it’s a great opportunity for some aggression displacement. Does your BFA like that sort of thing? Maybe you can add some to their Christmas list!
Actually when I’m wrapping gifts he gets down with me and wants to tear into all the gifts! Haha. More toys can work he loves to rip apart anything

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Haha that’s so funny! I think they are Bipolar!! Ya I hadn’t given him the attention he’s wanted and he lunged at me after I kissed my husband!! Haha. Maybe that was the reason for that time!
My Quaker used to sit on my shoulder and open her beak at my husband if he tried to kiss me. We’d go around her and she’d get mad.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
All great advice and ideas and can definitely see how some of these things you all mentioned are effecting Finley! Haha it kinda hurts my feelings even though it shouldn’t…it’s like I’m his person and yet he acts like he hates me sometimes! Lol!! He bites pretty hard too!

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
My Quaker used to sit on my shoulder and open her beak at my husband if he tried to kiss me. We’d go around her and she’d get mad.
My quaker is easy to read!! She comes at anyone she is mad at with her beak open haha…

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I don’t know where you’re at, but we just started to get snow. I wonder if seeing that change out the window would scare a parrot?
In Utah. Also it’s dark so early and gets light so late !! Also I’m having issues with him not eating pellets . He won’t touch them . He does get veggies and fruit and eggs and good stuff like that

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
In Utah. Also it’s dark so early and gets light so late !! Also I’m having issues with him not eating pellets . He won’t touch them . He does get veggies and fruit and eggs and good stuff like that
Maybe cut back a bit on the eggs and protein and fat as those tell your birds body it’s time to breed.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
FYI: It's December in the Great White North and it is the beginning of Hormonal Season and especially for the Big Hot Three Amazons, which includes your BFA. So, in addition to possibly pissing your Amazon-off, the start of the season only makes that much easier!

Not sure whether you are using the 12 /12 sleep schedule or the Up at Sun Rise and Sleep time at Sun Set. The 12 /12 method may needs to be adjusted to 10 /14 schedule and if you are following the Sun, your likely not following it closely as Cloudy days, bed time comes earlier!

I have a DYHA that we keep on the Sun Schedule and it's been cloudy today and its early, but he is ready for bedtime.

If this is your first Hormonal Season, you need to read with deep understanding the Thread regarding Understanding Amazon Body Language as your Amazon has likely been telling you. That Thread can be found at the top of the Amazon Forum here on Parrot Forum.

A loving relationship with an Amazon is very possible during Hormonal Season, you just need to be more aware of your Amazon's emotional status before you stick your face in his Bill! Out of cage and active is an important part of an Amazons day.

Also, cut sugar sources this time of year and assure that sleep is longer This will not 100% stop the on slot of a Hormonal Flow!
This all is great. He gets 10-11 hours of uninterrupted sleep but about 1/2 hour before I put him to bed he starts saying “go nite nite “. Haha. So maybe I neee to put him to bed when he starts saying this!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This all is great. He gets 10-11 hours of uninterrupted sleep but about 1/2 hour before I put him to bed he starts saying “go nite nite “. Haha. So maybe I neee to put him to bed when he starts saying this!

That is spot-on!! Our DYHA will begin his move to the bedroom when he is ready and it just works so much better when they choose.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If I get home late after Salty's bedtime of 10PM, he gets VERY onery (read lunging and bitey) and would rather sit on his hanging play chain all night then voluntarily go to his cage. But if I follow his regular schedule, 8:45PM training session, 9:05-9:30 hang out, 9:30 lights out and I carry him to his cage at 10PM. Perfectly willing, no drama, no lunging or biting. OP SherylB thats all it takes sometimes to set them off.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot

Strange you mentioned the wrapping. I accidentally bought the wrong wrapping paper at least according to my bird. When he saw it in roll form, he took off and was deeply upset with it. So i began wrapping a gift and put it away and again he won't stay near it! I wish i got the red HO HO HO paper instead of the grey with red santas clauses and candy canes. I had to hide the gift in the back since his cage sits near the tree....

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He didn’t know that wrapping paper came on a scary LONG ROLL!! Ye Gods! How terrifying!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
That’s some good advice from the seafaring contingent. I will add, Harrisin’s Bird Food website has some very good articles about getting birds to eat pellets. Very helpful. As far as what you could have done to tick off an Amazon? Dud you cut your hair? Braid it? Color it? Think about coloring it? Change nail polish? Put on a different polish? Put on a fresh coat of the same polish? Not wear polish? change your clothes? Wear shoes? Wear a sweater? Talk to your bird? Not talk to your bird? There’s just a few things that could cause such behavior, we just have to narrow it down to something you did, something you didn’t do, or something you did or didn’t think about doing or not doing.

Most Reactions