Macaw and cage

BenThomson16

Jan 14, 2021
Hi I have a 15 week blue and gold macaw her name is Shelby when she was about 12 week old we got her a massive cage and we sectioned it off so that she would fall and hurt herself and slowly we dropped the level of the cardboard section so that he has more space and now she has access to the whole cage but she will not go in her cage during the day if we try and put her in the cage she won’t climb onto a perch shell just try and climb out the door and fly to the couch and at she wouldn’t eat and the bowls that are in the middle of the cage so we had to put bowls up buy the top of the cage and now that she won’t go in her cage we just put her food and water on her stand and she eats and drinks on her stand.

Her cage in in the living room where there is always someone in that room at some point in the day I’m not sure but that might be the result why she doesn’t want to go in her cage because she wants to be out with the people and not in her cage

She loves to be on her stand that we built her with food and water bowls she can spend hours on it and I am worried because macaws need to play with toys and be stimulated and the only time she will go in her cage with no problem is night time where she will sit on her favorite perch and sleep there but. There is about 10 toys in the cage and about 6/7 natural tree branch perches there are no dowels perches

Please can someone help what should I do. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Ben

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Play stands need to have enough to keep a parrot interested. Check out this video of a members B&G, Jacob, his playstand/ cage has a good amount of thisgs to keep him interested.

[ame="https://youtu.be/qY0gpMt93iw"]https://youtu.be/qY0gpMt93iw[/ame]
qY0gpMt93iw

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So many new macaw owners! I just posted this to another thread started by a new B&G owner. Ignore the names, but check the info out!

"Thank you for attempting this, not many folks would. P**** W***** is , maybe, a start, not really held in high regard here. All and every post by birdman666 is !
Also high beneficial is the "I Love Amazons" thread at the top of the Amazons subform here, it contains GOLD on the general care, feeding, and upkeep of parrots, not just Amazons. Really recommend you go thru that too. And as my good friend Inger said, sitting close by Lacey and reading aloud in a soft soothing voice is going to help her become a member of your flock ( family). THe stickies at the top of the Macaw forum are also chock full of good info.
Like the stickie "Beak-o-phobes Guide" there.

ParrotForms is one of the most valuable resources anywhere, not just online. I think you are making progress, believe it or not. Parrots rate of accepting change is GLACIAL compared to our monkey brain adaptability, so really , proceed at Lacey's rate.

We have a saying here - It's never the fault of the parrot; It is always the fault of the human. Once you change your mind set to look at things from the parrots point of view, it becomes easier to understand what is going on.

Stick around - we'll see you through the ride!"

Most Reactions

Latest posts