Macaw Cages

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Hello,

My Fiancé and I have started volunteering at a local Bird rescue to learn more about birds before we get one. We are planning on starting smaller, but this rescue has allot of bigger Birds and because of that I just want to be prepared incase we fall in love with a big rescue bird and decide we want to take a bigger bird home after learning how to care for it properly. Of course I want to start smaller but I also believe in being prepared for the just incases. Like getting a Great Dane instead of a Chihuahua at the local shelter lol.

So if that is the case a friend and local bird person said a bird needs a cage twice as wide and deep as its wing span. Which leads me to my question. a Macaw's wing span is huge like 45 inches depending on the type. So what are you all keeping these birds in? none of the cages I am seeing are big enough! Can't find anything that's essentially 90inch by 90 inch. So fill me in what am I missing?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Large Mac's require huge /strong cages to a point that as stated above most individuals get sleeping cages that large Amazons would consider beyond huge. Full rooms is fairly common.

A bit of advice regarding Large Mac's! You want the Mac to choose both of you before you fall in love with them! Big Mac's are more commonly Big Lovers! And if they choose you they can become snuggly bunnies.

Since you are working around Big Mac's watch their body language as they communicate using head sways and bobbing and full body side shifts. It is possible to have a discussion with a Large Mac from across the room and only the two of you will be aware of it.

Again, with big Parrots allow them to choose you!!

Regarding cages and wings. The Parrot needs to be able to extend its wings fully at least in one direction so that they can flap them.

Cages: Only get a cage with a full-height front door!! Most manufactures will provide what looks like a large door, but use bars at the top and bottom to filling the space.

OP
IcyWinteRose

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Large Mac's require huge /strong cages to a point that as stated above most individuals get sleeping cages that large Amazons would consider beyond huge. Full rooms is fairly common.

A bit of advice regarding Large Mac's! You want the Mac to choose both of you before you fall in love with them! Big Mac's are more commonly Big Lovers! And if they choose you they can become snuggly bunnies.

Since you are working around Big Mac's watch their body language as they communicate using head sways and bobbing and full body side shifts. It is possible to have a discussion with a Large Mac from across the room and only the two of you will be aware of it.

Again, with big Parrots allow them to choose you!!

Regarding cages and wings. The Parrot needs to be able to extend its wings fully at least in one direction so that they can flap them.

Cages: Only get a cage with a full-height front door!! Most manufactures will provide what looks like a large door, but use bars at the top and bottom to filling the space.
Are there Cages you recommend?

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
For a quality cage that NO Macaw will destroy and not rust because it is made here in the US with quality stainless steel, with designs well thought out, I will only ever recommend Expandable Habitats condos. Expensive, heck yes, but you get what you pay for.

I own 4, one I bought in '94 and still no issues. Another I bought used but don't have a date but it could be older when it was made and no issues. Unfortunately, you won't find a used one easily. If you go this road, I would also suggest getting 2 full size doors and 3 double bowl feeder doors also on a 4x4 size. Going with 2 full size doors allows easier access to the full interior.

Most Reactions

Latest posts