Macaw Hiking Trail Perch? Any ideas?

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Has anyone ever heard of or created a perch that can go over the shoulder so you can take your Macaw on hiking trails?

Other than having them sit on your shoulder, which can scratch you or they spook and that large beak is right next to your face, what can you use to take them to go hiking? (In addition to a harness/flightsuit)

All ideas are appreciated!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have thought about this. I might use Velcro tape to affix a shoulder perch to a shirt or jacket. But if you’re hiking for any length of time or in rough country you would need to worry about predators on ground and in air as well as hydration and heat stroke.

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Oh no… my version of hiking is in a public park, marked trails, color coated, maximum three miles! I’m thinking about an hour!

Has anyone tried PVC piping, attached to backpack straps?? Just throwing an idea out there.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh no… my version of hiking is in a public park, marked trails, color coated, maximum three miles! I’m thinking about an hour!

Has anyone tried PVC piping, attached to backpack straps?? Just throwing an idea out there.
That’s an idea but I would toughen the pvc pipe with a file or sandpaper. Pvc is slippery.

Not going mountain climbing with your parrot, huh? When I go visit my family, they live near a national forest. I need to make sure no one gets grabbed by a hawk or owl (or hunting dog).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You can make just about anything from PVC pipe! I could see a perch with sections of PVC that hook over your shoulder and then secured with a belt or strap. But any perch what moves the parrot away from your body is going to bounce around a lot. THink about it - when you walk your shoulder really doesn't move very much. But a perch that moves the bird say 10" away now has a arm that moves the point of motion 10" away and acts like a reverse fulcrum.

However, I would not venture out with any parrot that is not at a minimum in a harness. Even a clipped parrot can fly when they are startled by something or attacked by a predator.

Most Reactions