OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That is true, but at Busch Gardens there is at least one individual that is watching very closely and at least two others that are doing the same while watching the interaction on screen. Any little indication and the stage person(s) has the Mac and are moving away. That is found under the category of How To Avoid Legal Issues.

I think it is important to say that Macaws are by the most part Lovers at heart, But They Do Not Suffer Fools!!
And lots of fools want to pose with macaws!

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
I thought I was weird for liking this smell, but I guess I'm not alone. Nothing better than getting some head scratches, a cuddle and a big inhale of my big chicken.

A friend of mine has 3, dogs, and a house full of birds. Her scarlet is her guard animal if anyone tries to come in uninvited. The dogs would lick them to death, or show them where the money is. The scarlet would have them running for the door bleeding. No issue as long as she says it's okay though. That is awesome! I've never been to her house, but I'm excited to go one of these days! Maybe I can find out about mac bouquet while I'm there :)
This is exactly how my house is. We have 3, 100lb+ dogs....who should you fear....the bird. :D
He generally has no reaction to most people, but if you act scared, like my mother-in-law, he takes advantage. She also kind of stomps. He will come down and charge like a rhino. Not sure what he would do, but I know it wouldn't be pleasant as she's terrified of him and he knows. He acts like a total clown when she's around.

Macaws exhibit a lot of body language. I'm still so new to it, but I've enjoyed nothing more than learning to love mine and see what he wants. Sometimes I still get it wrong, but he's forgiving.

I've been to this really neat place called Parrot Mountain in TN. I'm an animal lover and I honestly thought it was one of the coolest places I've ever been as you got to see the animals up close and interact. (Others may disagree). I understand a lot about body language though, and I'm sure most of the general public doesn't. Most of the birds were out on perches and there was plenty of staff on hand. You were taught to offer your arm and wait. There were some cheeky birds, you know the whole lift their foot acting as they want you to pick them up, you come close and they go for a bite. lol There were kids too! It is a wild place, I'm not sure how they don't end up with accidents, they weren't all super social birds. Regardless, it was the first place I saw two hyacinths and many other cool birds like toucans etc.

Last edited:

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
I've noticed that some large parrots, especially macaws have an unusual scent that I find very pleasant. Is it me or do macaws smell different from most other parrot type birds? Amazons may smell like this too but I haven't noticed it as much. Do any of you macaw owners notice this too?
Yes, we never noticed a scent with our Severe Macaw, PJ. We had him for 29 years. After he passed, we brought a lovely Blue and Gold into our lives and she has a very strong scent but only when we open the windows.
I could see it possibly being described as baby powder. I would lean more towards describing Arika's scent more like a flower shop.
The only other scent that comes from her is "wet bird" after her shower. After a blow dry, which she really enjoys, I'd have to say she just smells neutral, if that makes any sense. Opening the windows, brings on the flower shop scent again. Either way, she's a nut :)

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
My little Amazon Salty, when he is extremely happy or in a great mood exudes a smell i call "Christmas Cookies". Of course it does not really smell like baked goods, but its as close as I could come. I love it!
That's funny, I remember you mentioning Salty smelling like Christmas Cookies.
Makes me wonder, how do we smell to them???
That brings up an interesting question, How is their smell?
Acute, moderate??

Last edited:
OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes, we never noticed a scent with our Severe Macaw, PJ. We had him for 29 years. After he passed, we brought a lovely Blue and Gold into our lives and she has a very strong scent but only when we open the windows.
I could see it possibly being described as baby powder. I would lean more towards describing Arika's scent more like a flower shop.
The only other scent that comes from her is "wet bird" after her shower. After a blow dry, which she really enjoys, I'd have to say she just smells neutral, if that makes any sense. Opening the windows, brings on the flower shop scent again. Either way, she's a nut :)
All I know is that I really like the way macaws smell. I know it sounds strange but they just smell good to me and unlike any other bird or animal scent I've ever encountered.

Most Reactions

Latest posts