Macaw scissor beak HELP!!!

Rade

Jan 27, 2021
Hi there,
A week ago I bought beautiful Harlequin Macaw, Dino.
Dino is 3 months old and he have scissor beak problems, upper beak is 4mm on the right side. So breeder said that there is procedure named '
Trans-sinus Pinning', and we did it, but not successful, he basically took that pin off after 4 days. So now he don't have that pin and he's in pain (I think).
Please give me an advice what to do, because we have another operation this Friday, and I don't want that to happen, breeder is really pushy to make that happen, I believe he don't want Dino with that beak in his 'portfolio'.
Is it possible, threw time, that Dino's beak will be normal?
And did anyone had similar experience?

This is my baby Dino :red1:
156897215_3800621700022273_8906031453801542510_o.jpg

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I'd talk to a CAV and make the decision based on what's best for the birds health.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Dino! He is yours now, so please don't allow the breeder to experiment or possibly euthanize to prevent "tainted portfolio." (yes, I know that's jumping ahead but is a concern)

Has Dino been evaluated by certified avian vet or equivalent? I don't know a lot about scissors beak but many affected parrots live normal lives. May need second opinion to better evaluate your options.

A few links of interest, first one discusses trans-sinus pinning:
https://www.aavac.com.au/files/2016-13.pdf
A Vet's Guide To Life: Crooked Beak
https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/pet-bird-beak-care/
http://www.scottemcdonald.com/pdfs/Bad Beaks.pdf

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yes, just like human doctors, a second QUALIFIED opinion is warranted. From what I read, scissor beak can be corrected, just like snaggle teeth can be corrected, but it has to be done by a qualified Certified Avian Vet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very true!

Pinning a crossing Bill for 'four' days cannot correct an underlining problem. If handled correctly such a procedure would take several weeks, possible longer to correct. But, if I recall correcting/ pinning requires a set of X-rays that define the deformity of the skull.

Understanding that you have provided just a single photo, but that single photo suggests that the underlining problem is likely minimal and that correcting the upper and lower beak would be the proper approach.

You need to take your Parrot to an Avian Medical Professional, commonly know as a Certified Avian Vet (CAV). With the care of a Professional, the upper and lower sections of the bill are trimmed so as to reverse the cross-slide of the bill.

FYI: I seriously doubt that Dino is three months old. More likely 6 to 9 months old.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
A scissor beak can mess them up long-term in terms of sinuses etc. If it grows too long it can off-set their jaw etc, so if you have a bird with a scissor beak, the religious trimming (due to irregular wear) can be a massive pain and a health concern if neglected.

If it can be done safely,with a CAV I'd do a corrective procedure..Agreed that it takes longer (it's basically braces for your bird-- only less cosmetic and more important)

It is often caused by improper weaning, although it can also be genetic.

Noodles has scissor beak and it is a pain because if her beak grows too long on one side (2 mandibles for a cockatoo) then it makes things more lop-sided but she chews more on one side than the other due to her beak issue.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts