Macaw stomping foot

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
My macaw has a foot injury and is still slightly swollen. I have noticed since then she stomps her foot after she flutters her wings quickly ( always done that ) I'm wondering if the foot stomp is caused by her trauma from hurting herself? She is also molting quite bad at the moment and sometimes quite agitated 😫

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What kind of foot injury does she have? It could be that she's stomping it because the swelling feels strange to her and she's trying to get rid of it.
I hope she heels soon!

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
She got her foot stuff in a toy, and was hanging by her foot when I got home. Luckily I got home when I did. I hope we never go through that awful experience again 😔 rushed her to her avian vet, had xray nothing was broken just badly swollen. Prescribed melacalm. That's 8 days ago now. Still slightly swollen. But otherwise back to herself apart from putting her feet in her mouth ( not biting her skin though ) molting bad which is making her bitey and agitated 😒

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, a Macaw can be very bitty and agitated during a molt as those are large feathers coming in and it is no joy!

It is possible that as the swelling is going down, the compressed nerves are reacting /signaling again and it can be a bit like a numb feeling, which stomping or placing her foot in her mouth may help her to understand /feel that area. It is worth the time to call your Avian Vet and report the action as foot stomping and toe tapping can be seen as the same, but have very different sources.

Last edited:
OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I will call the vet tomorrow as they are closed on a Sunday. Thank you

Most Reactions