Macaw VS. Umbrella 'Too: Screaming

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Just turn up the speakers on your computer, and then put them right next to your ear. Now play this!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrrT1gSruic"]Ivy the Hyacinth Macaw's ear-piercing scream - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTc603tUhQ"]Macaws screaming - YouTube[/ame]

And we've even got one for Karen!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iYEkFDUoQI"]Blue Throated Macaw SCREAMING! - YouTube[/ame]

That oughta give you some idea...

Last edited:
OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
Female Cinnamon Cockatiel; Arka
~
Female Red Crowned Amazon; Chiba
Just turn up the speakers on your computer, and then put them right next to your ear. Now play this!

Ivy the Hyacinth Macaw's ear-piercing scream - YouTube

Macaws screaming - YouTube

And we've even got one for Karen!

Blue Throated Macaw SCREAMING! - YouTube

That oughta give you some idea...
That is loud!
I actually plugged the phone up to the sound system we have...it was terrifying. :eek: We turned the volume all the way up. I let the whole family listen, and they believe the noise to be unrealistic.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I was thinking about adopting a U2 (I was offered one at that moment) until I heard the toos scream at my vets office. He has two umbrellas and a Moluccan. Man, was it loud, like REALLY, REALLY LOUD!!! My other little birds would just die from that - they freak out from the vacuum cleaner noise. :) And I'd probably go around with constant headache. I admire people who commit to those birds.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Max screaming...it is not nearly as loud on the computer as it is in person.
[ame="https://youtube.com/watch?v=zhHdBzuOrYA"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=zhHdBzuOrYA[/ame]

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You can hear one of the annoying umbrellas in the back ground.
[ame="https://youtube.com/watch?v=OWJam6HP_-o"]Nina - YouTube[/ame]

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
I am very sad, but it cannot be undone.
So now, I'm just waiting around for "my" bird. If that bird is a Macaw, I want to make sure that I'll be able to handle their screaming. And I understand that each bird is different; some scream more than others.
And if you like the macaw personality but are a bit intimidated by the noise, don't forget about the mini-macaws! There are several species that are available in the pet trade, and the smaller size means smaller vocal chords:)
I have actually been thinking about Severe Macaws.... they are supposedly the largest of the mini-Macaws. I'm sure they're still very loud, but would the noise be a bit more tolerable, do you think?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't think of severe's as loud... I think of them as "biters." :eek:

But then I'm biased. Don't go by me...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I actually plugged the phone up to the sound system we have...it was terrifying. :eek: We turned the volume all the way up. I let the whole family listen, and they believe the noise to be unrealistic.

If you think it's terrifying... Just think how the squirrel felt!

What do you mean by unrealistic?

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

So, they have a reputation for being bitey? I was told that Conures are also known for being nippy...but are the Severes more prone to aggression?

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

If you think it's terrifying... Just think how the squirrel felt!

What do you mean by unrealistic?
I have a feeling that the squirrel won't be coming back....;)

They didn't think a bird could be that loud. I'm assuming the noise was pretty realistic, even if it was plugged up to the amp and set on high volume.....right?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

So, they have a reputation for being bitey? I was told that Conures are also known for being nippy...but are the Severes more prone to aggression?

Not aggression. That isn't accurate.

But they are very prone to having one person/overbonding issues...

They need extra socialization. If they don't get it, the favorite person will end up being the only person that can handle them. Then when the favorite person dumps them - they get angry - which is the point where the bird usually got handed to me. (Here, see what you can do with this angry unsocialized parrot!)

So, that's my deal on severe macs. And angry at the world macaws are the opposite of mush macs, and they are difficult to deal with, and almost always involve blood donations... (Try playing "pass the birdie" with a bird that hates all y'all! Chomp! Who's next?! You want some of this too?! We'll keep this up til you get me back to my person!)

And I'm biased because I dealt with about six of these in a row, and one of them sent me to the hospital for stitches, and it bit me intending to inflict injury... So, I am very, very biased.

There were one or two that I've met that have been amazingly sweet birds - coincidentally, these birds were well socialized from the day they hatched and they would go to anyone... and loved everyone!

If you get one, socialize it to the Nth degree to prevent the bad behaviors.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

Not aggression. That isn't accurate.

But they are very prone to having one person/overbonding issues...

They need extra socialization. If they don't get it, the favorite person will end up being the only person that can handle them. Then when the favorite person dumps them - they get angry - which is the point where the bird usually got handed to me. (Here, see what you can do with this angry unsocialized parrot!)

So, that's my deal on severe macs. And angry at the world macaws are the opposite of mush macs, and they are difficult to deal with, and almost always involve blood donations... (Try playing "pass the birdie" with a bird that hates all y'all! Chomp! Who's next?! You want some of this too?! We'll keep this up til you get me back to my person!)

And I'm biased because I dealt with about six of these in a row, and one of them sent me to the hospital for stitches, and it bit me intending to inflict injury... So, I am very, very biased.

There were one or two that I've met that have been amazingly sweet birds - coincidentally, these birds were well socialized from the day they hatched and they would go to anyone... and loved everyone!

If you get one, socialize it to the Nth degree to prevent the bad behaviors.
Understood!
Have you been able to bond with any of the one-person Severe Macaws over time?
Thanks!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I wasn't trying to. I didn't want to bond with a bird that was being adopted out. Especially one with overbonding tendencies and abandonment issues.

In fact, in some respects I was doing the opposite:

"I may not be your favorite person, bird, but you will step up for me, and everyone else without biting."

If they hate your friggin' guts, but still step up and behave for you, well, you've accomplished something. And the person they DO bond with will have better luck... if they keep up the socialization.

Basic step up for anyone without biting. That's all I was doing...

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
I wasn't trying to. I didn't want to bond with a bird that was being adopted out. Especially one with overbonding tendencies and abandonment issues.

In fact, in some respects I was doing the opposite:

"I may not be your favorite person, bird, but you will step up for me, and everyone else without biting."

If they hate your friggin' guts, but still step up and behave for you, well, you've accomplished something. And the person they DO bond with will have better luck... if they keep up the socialization.

Basic step up for anyone without biting. That's all I was doing...
I see. That does seem like a big step up from biting everybody. I would think that they'd be much more manageable.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Cockatoos make you want to go jump off a bridge. Macaws make your head vibrate :)

BAAAHAAAHAAAA...love that! :32: I must be lucky with Peanut...she only does her "call" once a day for max 5 to 10 minutes (now that I've said that she will probably start screaming all day..lol:20:) Not to worry though...I have a bridge just past my house if needed:54:. When she does scream it is loud! Sassy is loud more often and usually whenever we are on the phone..lol. Cisco has the high pitched annoying scream IMO. Good thing I live out in the middle of nowhere...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Cockatoos make you want to go jump off a bridge. Macaws make your head vibrate :)

BAAAHAAAHAAAA...love that! :32: I must be lucky with Peanut...she only does her "call" once a day for max 5 to 10 minutes (now that I've said that she will probably start screaming all day..lol:20:) Not to worry though...I have a bridge just past my house if needed:54:. When she does scream it is loud! Sassy is loud more often and usually whenever we are on the phone..lol. Cisco has the high pitched annoying scream IMO. Good thing I live out in the middle of nowhere...

Well...

For all the crap about toos and screaming...

A lot of that has to do with the skill of the person raising them, and doing what it takes to meet their needs. Number one on that list is NOT HOLDING THEM TOO MUCH, OR PICKING THEM UP WHEN THEY SCREAM, AND TEACHING THEM TO SELF ENTERTAIN!!!

You tell people that a million times, but they don't follow through, and then their birds turn into scream n plucks, and they come back to you with stories of how they are "just devastated" by it all....

OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE THE SKILLS, AND YOU HAVE A FLOCK SETTING...

Rachel had an M2, that was 20-ish, and they are the most difficult of the bunch. That bird was still loud several times a day, but it did not sit there and scream for days on end, nor did it ever have a single feather out of place...

Why? The bird had a flock structure... and a routine. And lots of other birds to interact with.

Birds that have a solid flock structure, and a set routine, generally don't act up. (If the routine is too rigid of course, then change can trigger stress and plucking disorders.)

The other thing is getting them outside, and outside a caged environment and letting them be birds...

THOSE to me are the keys... Do that and you never find yourself stopping at the bridge going.... Hmmm... I'd really like to, but I'm afraid this bridge isn't quite tall enough.

Anyway... those are my coffee thoughts this morning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts