Major Mitchell vocalizations?

Cstone01

Jun 13, 2019
I have been meaning to ask this question for a couple of months but never got around to it, since I was on here I thought I would ask today. We brought our major Mitchell home about six months ago, I had never really been around one. He is from a broker/hand rearer, we didn’t buy him directly from a breeder.

I have been around birds my whole life but was completely not expecting the noises he makes. I thought he would sound more like a cockatoo. He really doesn’t make normal bird noises And he is not particularly loud. I have searched on the Internet for videos of other major Mitchell’s vocalizing And have been unable to find any as they are pretty uncommon especially in the United States. I’ve also tried to read descriptions of their vocalizations and found very little.

Oleander makes a soft social type of noise that sounds like a young kitten- normal enough. He also makes a gobbling noise that sounds like a turkey on its last leg. By far the strangest noise he makes is what I’m assuming is his flock call. He made this noise the first time about five days into us having him, I was literally walking around the house trying to figure out what was making it, I thought my husband had a video pulled up on the computer or something.

The closest thing I can compare it to is Kulning- when Swedish women sing to call cows in [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtT3UyhibQ"]Kulning - Ancient Swedish herdingcall - YouTube[/ame]
It is truly bizarre but not particularly annoying or bothersome once you’re used to it. Do you all major Mitchell’s make these noises? Is it just a him thing? I will see if I can record it and post it somehow. Iv seen a few other people around with MMs

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've not been in the company of MMs, the beckoning is quite unlike typically gravelly cockatoo vocalizations.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
[ame="https://youtu.be/napIIb2_-Hk"]Major Mitchell Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame] There are some vocalizations in this video

Congratulations on your bird! Please share photos!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey if that is the extent of your Major Mitchell's vocalizing, count yourself lucky!! As you might already know, the size of the parrot is not in proportion to the loudness of their voices most of the time, however in Macaws and Cockatoos they can be deafening!

Most Reactions