Making a Playgym

Ariana0902

Jul 20, 2010
Michigan
Parrots
One Green Cheeked Conure.
I have nothing to do most of my days this summer. Though I don't have a bird yet, I would like to make a playgym. It would give me something to do! Is there any wood that is safe for birds? If so, what are the wood types? I found that many people use wood from their backyards and clean it very good. What would be the cleaning procedure? Thanks! :)

- Ariana

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Here's a link with a list of parrot safe wood. Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

As for cleaning it...I've never done this, but I would assume get a relatively stiff-bristle brush (but not wire) and bird-safe soap.

To tie everything together...use sisal rope (found in most home improvement stores) or undyed, unbleached cotton rope (usually a little harder to find).

Good luck and be sure to post pics when your done!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
There's several things to take note of:
1)Be absolutely sure the wood is pesticide free
2)There are some trees that are good, and some that are not, I'll find a link to a site that explains
3)When you wash them, thoroughly wash them in 10 parts water and 1 part bleach, then leave it out to dry.
3)Have fun and be creative!!!

OP
A

Ariana0902

Jul 20, 2010
Michigan
Parrots
Thankyou very much! I am new... so what is the thumbs up in the bottom right corner all about? I thank all of you... so would I click the icon?

OP
A

Ariana0902

Jul 20, 2010
Michigan
Parrots
I was just outside gathering some branches that would be good for the playgym. I started to saw with a little hand saw and my hands are hurting. Using electric tools would be much more appealing! I will continue the work tomorrow!

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I live in Australia so use eucalyptus branches of various sizes, I soaked them for a few hours in the bath with diluted bleach then rinsed them under the shower and put them outside in the sun to thoroughly dry. I used a mitre-saw to cut them, drilled hols with a fine drill bit and stainless steel screws. I added sisal rope for my birds to hang off and climb on. The base is made from left over floor boards and has wheels underneath so I can move it around the house. - its prety big. The cat also uses it as a scratching post :)

It's really satisfying to see the birds having so much fun with something you built yourself. Please spot some photos when your done

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Welcome to the forum Ariana!

Same as Mel, I use Eucalyptus branches (there are so many of them where I live lol). I drive/walk around looking for freshly fallen tree limbs. I don't like using the old crusty ones because they are usually home to spiders, lizards and other little critters. I check for any wild bird poop and chew marks from wild cocky's. If the branches came from a fairly clean place, I sand and scrape any 'iffy' bits off, then I soak them in really hot water for a while. I don't use bleach, I'm sure it is fine to use but I just get paranoid about it soaking into the wood and my birds ingesting it. If I can't fit them in the sink or bath, I get the kettle and dribble the hot water over the branch.

OP
A

Ariana0902

Jul 20, 2010
Michigan
Parrots
I had some family come up from Texas, so these past few weeks I have been very busy. I have figured out how I would like the playgym to look, and all I need to do is clean the wood. I will definetly post pictures once finished!

Most Reactions

Latest posts