Male Plum-headed parakeets?

LoganF

Feb 23, 2021
I was living in Arizona for the first half of last year and last half of 2019. During my time there, I met a female plum-head at a bird store I visited. I was completely drawn to her. She was small, feisty and cage aggressive. But I felt I really wanted her. So I visited numerous times to see her. I would simply talk to her and be around her cage. Over time she became much less defensive. Eventually getting her to touch my finger with her beak. When I felt the time was right, it was time to bring her home. I wanted her at least a little tame because I have several other birds of other types.

Since taking her in, in the fall of 2019, she's been a happy member of our family. Always sweet and kind. Never bites, always giving kisses. But she hasn't bonded with any of the other birds, or even interacts with them - she just keeps to herself. As for me, I work over time a lot at my job, so I don't get to see her much. Though my family members do give her plenty of attention at least.

I'm looking into investing in getting her a male, so she'll have a companion while I'm away. But it seems plum-heads aren't an easy find, nor are they cheap, but my bird's happiness and well-being are worth any price. I'm looking preferably to get a younger male. The younger the better. As I mentioned, I have several other birds. Cockatiels, conures, other parakeets, and I'd like to ensure he grows up getting used to me, my family and our family of birds. If anyone could help me out, it'd be very appreciated :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello, and welcome to the forums! I think the thing to consider, is that there are no guarantees that another bird will get along with your existing one. As you've already seen, it doesn't always work the way you plan. They might be great together, and possibly prefer each other to you. Or, they may need to be separate at all times because they don't see eye to eye, you know? I have an Ekkie male, and shortly after adopting him, added a YNA girl. The Ekkie tries so hard to be friends, (or more!) and she wants no part of it. I knew this was a possibility going into it, so I was prepared. They don't have out of cage time together, ever. Not safe. It's complicated, but I make the time so they each get individual time out with me.

You already have a flock to care for, are you prepared for the time/logistics involved if a new bird doesn't get along? Just food for thought.

OP
L

LoganF

Feb 23, 2021
In terms of getting along, it'll be no issue. Our birds do very well together. Our male conure sometimes nips at others, but isn't outright aggressive or attacks regularly. As far as my plum head goes, I do fear she has been used to being on her own for so long she might not bond to another plum-head. One of our cockatiels really likes her and always follows her, but she wants nothing to do with it. Poor guy is dedicated. Been trying to win her over for at least a year now.

Tutuetoile

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
Plumhead, GCC and cockateil
I was living in Arizona for the first half of last year and last half of 2019. During my time there, I met a female plum-head at a bird store I visited. I was completely drawn to her. She was small, feisty and cage aggressive. But I felt I really wanted her. So I visited numerous times to see her. I would simply talk to her and be around her cage. Over time she became much less defensive. Eventually getting her to touch my finger with her beak. When I felt the time was right, it was time to bring her home. I wanted her at least a little tame because I have several other birds of other types.

Since taking her in, in the fall of 2019, she's been a happy member of our family. Always sweet and kind. Never bites, always giving kisses. But she hasn't bonded with any of the other birds, or even interacts with them - she just keeps to herself. As for me, I work over time a lot at my job, so I don't get to see her much. Though my family members do give her plenty of attention at least.

I'm looking into investing in getting her a male, so she'll have a companion while I'm away. But it seems plum-heads aren't an easy find, nor are they cheap, but my bird's happiness and well-being are worth any price. I'm looking preferably to get a younger male. The younger the better. As I mentioned, I have several other birds. Cockatiels, conures, other parakeets, and I'd like to ensure he grows up getting used to me, my family and our family of birds. If anyone could help me out, it'd be very appreciated :)
Of you are still looking for a plum head there are 4ish month old babies at Arizona Bird Store

Most Reactions

Latest posts