maple syrup?

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
I was thinking of adding a small amount to a birdie recipie. That OK? I never saw anything about tree saps. This is the 100% natural stuff tapped from a neighbor's trees.

He likes sweet stuff, (he goes for the sweeter veggies and fruits first) but I don't want to add any refined sugar to his diet. My dad does that with the occasional bribe of a honey roasted peanut cause the little guy will go to the ends of the earth for a bite of one of those. Why couldn't it be spaghetti like with our last parrot?

I saw some people use honey. I normally used unsweetened organic apple sauce and corn meal. So far, he has hated every birdie bread I made him. lol I think it was the peas. He never really liked peas that much. He adores blueberries and pumpkin seeds.

I was gonna try something with blueberries, oatmeal, honey or maple syrup, eggs, zupreem (can't spell, that's his normal food that he prefers with his regular veggies and sometimes fruit each day and whatever else everyone is eating).

I figure if it tastes good to me.. I won't leave the shells in until I find the right mix, although I have never eaten his zupreem yet.

Dunno! Winging it , haha winging it.

Last edited:
OP
S

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
Finally hit one Sweet Pea, the blue crown conure likes! It's still too mushy to keep long, and it made way too much, but I think I am on the right track.

1 cup organic whole wheat bread flour
2 little cups (I guess about a half a cup) organic unsweetened apple sauce
some drizzles of local pure 100% maple syrup (less than a quarter cup)
a bunch of organic oatmeal (I am guessing 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
a handful of organic fresh blueberries
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

It's way too mushy, but I stuffed it in sugar ice cream cones and microwaved it until a toothpick stuck in came out clean. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but they didn't get hard or anything.

It's was grainy, but I thought pretty tastey. He really hated any other birdie bread I attempted, but I know he has a dangerous sweet tooth, I mean beak. I think he liked the grainy part the best though if I had to guess.

He was frightened of the ice cream cones, so I broke off a piece of bread for him. The eyes flashed, he devoured it, and kept saying, "That's Good!"

yeah! I'll modify further, but a good one for a sweet beak. I wouldn't make this an everyday treat.

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I don't see why maple syrup in small amounts wouldn't be fine. I would get grade B though (grade C, if you can find it), because there are more nutrients in it, and less processing.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
maple syrup is non toxic and fine for them to eat. just not a lot because it is like almost 100% sugar, just a liquid form lol. happy baking!

Most Reactions

Latest posts