Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations Laurasea & Penny!

March's Theme was "What's in a Name?

laurasea-albums-penny-picture20261-img-20180803-183903536-3.jpg

"Penny, because when I saw her stuffed in a tiny travel cage only inches larger than her body , and in which she couldn't stand up in because it was so small. She was covered head to toe in her own poop, with piles of poop in her cage, with her water covered in a film of algae. She was screaming, self mutilating, plucking, trying to bite.
I thought to myself , in for a Penny in for a pound.
I thought she would be vicious, and take a lot of work. But she is a very sweet and funny bird, has the biggest sense of humor of any of my birds.
She did take some work, mostly to engage her in life, to learn to fly, she still gets scared and lunges if I move quickly, but she pushes my hand away instead of bites now. I love her so much.
I found get on a shelf in dark corner of a mom and pop store who was letting an employee re-home her.
I wasn't looking for another bird, but I had to save her! I had to borrow money from two people to buy her. So worth it! "

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations Laura & Penny, what an exciting finish to the contest!

Also a congratulations to Inger & Bumble, this is one of the closet contests/tie-breakers I have ever seen!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
That was close! I just loved all the stories but especially the two finalists. Please don't make it so difficult again!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you! It was exciting, so close! So many great naming stories , I really loved it.

Behind Penny's name

In for a Penny in for a pound:

used to express someone's intention to complete an enterprise once it has been undertaken, however much time, effort, or money this entails.

I thought she might need lots if veterinary care, lots of time to make freinds, ECT...

We made freinds right off, with few hiccups. The hardest thing was getting her to be more than a lump on a stick. To get her to play and explore, and move around, and to fly.

I'm happy to say as we come near her 2 year gotcha date, she flys all over! Plays with toys!! Explores all the perch play areas, and makes me laugh so much,!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations Laura, Penny never looked so good!! Wonderful contest and gorgeous submission by Inger!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Greener Fields of a Supporting Member Status!!!
No real advantages, other than being Greener!!! But neat, especially, if you're an Amazon Snob!!! :D
Congratulations good friend, your dear Parrot and story got you here, but your contributions greatly support the new status!!!
Welcome!

Warning, that tiny shadow that is following you is likely a tiny blue bird... Be weary, be very weary...

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Wow, two worthy contenders and this one really came down to the wire! Congratulations to both Penny and Bumble for a nail-biter of a contest!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Congratulations to Laurasea & Penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you Inger! Bumble is precious! Whish I could meet her!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations to Laura and Penny! A beautiful story and a wonderful photo!

And congratulations also to Inger and Bumble! Close to the very end! (I'm still cracking up that Bumble goes to sleep in that position every night! Hilarity!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts