Mating questions..?

rodrigo

Feb 13, 2018
Rome!
Parrots
Budgies:Ringo&Franca
Hi everyone, i was wandering during what period of time Budgies reproduce?? My two budgies keep kissing and like exchanging food (hope its normal). Is there anything i should do if they are about to reproduce? Like a specific diet or something. Also i bought them a little house nest but they dont seem interested in it should i remove it??
Thanks for reading!:blue2::greenyellow:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello! I remember your other thread asking about taming them.

How old are the budgies? Do you know if they are male and female? Letting two birds reproduce without proper knowledge of how to take care of babies should they need help or should the parents neglect them can be a very dangerous thing to take on. You risk much heartbreak and death by allowing them to incubate eggs and hatch them. Please reconsider breeding your budgies. Take out the nest box and allow them to just be birds. They can still live a happy, healthy life without reproducing.

Just a side note, they may mate, or maybe already are, and any eggs laid should be picked up and shaken to destroy the yolk inside and then take away all the eggs when the two lose interest.

Again, please reconsider letting your birds hatch babies. Why don't you focus on earning their trust and training them?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
okay...

Here is the extensive list of questions that you need correct answers for to know if you should allow them to breed.

1. How old are they?
2. Are they confirmed male and female?
3. Are they related?
4. Do you have the knowledge on how to hand-feed babies? this needs to be done if the parents reject them (happens more than you think)
5. What is your plan for any babies?
6. Do you have a temperature controlled brooder if the parent's reject the eggs? (they cost easily over $1000)
7. Have you checked laws centered around birds in regards to breeding buying and selling?
8. Have both birds been to a vet recently for a full check-up including bloodwork to make sure they are healthy?

If you don't have an answer to even 1 of these questions do not do so.

(cheat sheet for the "correct" answers)
1. 3 years+
2. Yes DNA tested male and female
3. No
4. Yes have had hands on experience with breeders before
5. Adopting the babies to suitable homes once old enough
6. Yes
7. Yes extensively and am aware of any licenses I am required
8. Yes, both have had gram stains, blood panels and have been confirmed to be in good health

OP
R

rodrigo

Feb 13, 2018
Rome!
Parrots
Budgies:Ringo&Franca
Hello! I remember your other thread asking about taming them.

How old are the budgies? Do you know if they are male and female? Letting two birds reproduce without proper knowledge of how to take care of babies should they need help or should the parents neglect them can be a very dangerous thing to take on. You risk much heartbreak and death by allowing them to incubate eggs and hatch them. Please reconsider breeding your budgies. Take out the nest box and allow them to just be birds. They can still live a happy, healthy life without reproducing.

Just a side note, they may mate, or maybe already are, and any eggs laid should be picked up and shaken to destroy the yolk inside and then take away all the eggs when the two lose interest.

Again, please reconsider letting your birds hatch babies. Why don't you focus on earning their trust and training them?
Hi yea i dont want them to breed yet, but in case they do how do i take the egg? Will they bite me or hate me for taking them?

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
As long as you don't provide them with a nesting box, the hen will be unlikely to lay, even if they mate. In the case that they do mate and she does lay, removing the egg shouldn't be a problem. Remember that you can know the genders by looking at the ceres of the birds (area around the nostrils). When they are under 4 months and haven't gone through their first molt it is harder to know, but as adults males with have blue ceres and females will have brown (dark gold) ceres.

Last edited:

Most Reactions