Maybe sick lovebird

MatijaT

Jul 27, 2021
Hello guys, I have around 10 years old female lovebird who because sick two days ago so I need help because in my range i dont have any expirienced birds vet, only for big puppies. Two days ago in the morning we spotted she became so clumsy and she cant squeeze her right foot and she always moving that leg much right from her body and she is trying to cut down her nails. Since that day she bacame very sleepy almost all the time, she eats quite good. Another big problem is that she is not pooping like before every 15 minutes. She poops maybe two times a day and its quite big, green poop, its size is bigger than ever before. Few minutes before she poops that she becomes even more clumsier she cant even move, falling constantly. IS there anything i can help her because im lack of profi avian in close range. She is very cheery but she never gave us to tuck her or she will bite our fingers.

OP
M

MatijaT

Jul 27, 2021
221692249_3872098446380165_7764246511750053421_n.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
So sorry your bird isn't well. It's very likely she's been sick longer than you know.
As prey animals, parrots will hide signs of illness until they can't any longer. By that time, it's important to act as quickly as possible. An avian vet is your best option, but we understand that due to location, that's not always possible. You may need to widen your search, or perhaps call and arrange a virtual visit with one. Please do whatever you can to find one, your bird needs your help ASAP.

Here's a site that might help you find someone. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 You can search by country.

Please keep us posted!

Last edited:
OP
M

MatijaT

Jul 27, 2021
So sorry your bird isn't well. It's very likely she's been sick longer than you know.
As prey animals, parrots will hide signs of illness until they can't any longer. By that time, it's important to act as quickly as possible. An avian vet is your best option, but we understand that due to location, that's not always possible. You may need to widen your search, or perhaps call and arrange a virtual visit with one. Please do whatever you can to find one, your bird needs your help ASAP.

Here's a site that might help you find someone. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 You can search by country.

Please keep us posted!

I've managed to find one vet dr close to my City here in Serbia, she said she can check her but she cant do much without X-ray and I cant find it here because as I said its only for big animals :/

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your unwell lovebird, sending wishes for full recovery!

X-Rays helpful but lab tests often narrow the issue before imaging is needed. Drawing blood for examination best done by skilled avian vet if possible. Culturing poop in a lab often detects bacteria reactive to easily obtained drugs via oral or injection. Problem is not every animal lab capable of specialized testing. Do you have a nearby zoo for possible consultation?

OP
M

MatijaT

Jul 27, 2021
Welcome to you and your unwell lovebird, sending wishes for full recovery!

X-Rays helpful but lab tests often narrow the issue before imaging is needed. Drawing blood for examination best done by skilled avian vet if possible. Culturing poop in a lab often detects bacteria reactive to easily obtained drugs via oral or injection. Problem is not every animal lab capable of specialized testing. Do you have a nearby zoo for possible consultation?

I dont :( its around 150km away from me and I dont know if my bird can travel because she never traveled with car. It looks like she struggles to poop, she becames a lot clumbsy when she must poop, but she eats and drinks water normally

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I have not experienced anything like this with mine.my birds have a heated perch to help them keep warm. This if she has an infection or fight something it will allow that extra energy to be put towards that and not maintaining temp.

Because there are bubbles I’m leaning more to an infection or some kind of bacteria imbalance. If you are willing I have a vet who will do telemedicine. Dr Orosz a very well known avian vet here in the us and in Europe. This is a link to her practice https://www.birdandexotics.com/our-practice

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Matija,

Have you considered that your bird might be with a trapped egg inside her?

Eggs and poops are ejected by the same channel and if the egg is blocking the passage, the poop will take to much more time to be released. It will probably demand too much effort for the bird and the acumulated poop will be delivered all at once.

Do you have a picture of the bird, particularly showing her abdomen?

One thing you said concerns me that your bird is having trouble to move and falls from the perch. I had birds going through this in the past and they were heavy because they could not poop as often as they use to.

Most Reactions