McHale's Navy with taking parrot

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Watched an episode the other night of McHale's Navy where they had acquired a talking parrot.
Funny episode, and because it is in black and white, not sure of the parrot.

So asking the learned here, if you have any idea of what kind of parrot that is. Yes, I know that the voice is human mimic of what a parrots sounded like. Just curious about the species of Parrot they used.

Episode link here:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Watched an episode the other night of McHale's Navy where they had acquired a talking parrot.
Funny episode, and because it is in black and white, not sure of the parrot.

So asking the learned here, if you have any idea of what kind of parrot that is. Yes, I know that the voice is human mimic of what a parrots sounded like. Just curious about the species of Parrot they used.

Episode link here:
Looks like a Double yellow headed amazon (DYH)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
In the movie "voyage to the bottom of the sea" The cook has an Amazon parrot on his shoulder. At least in the beginning of the movie.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Looks like a double yellow head to me too. It's most likely 2 or more parrots were used , as the parrot does a spin trick at some point early in the episode.

I get to tell my McHale's Navy story! I drove a taxi 🚖 at night when I was in college (yes, the Wrench went to school). One night I picked up Carrol Conner ( Archie Bunker fame) Earnest Borgnine and their wives up at the Hilton and took them to The Playboy Club in Manhattan NYC. Dressed to the nine's they were. Being a standard cab, and not a Checker cab, it was meant for 3 people in back and one in front and Borgnine sat in front with me. Like 1/2 way thru the ride, Borgnine looks at my proudly displayed cab license, with my semi naked picture on it (being a photography major, I was able to make a custom pic for it 🙀). He looks at it and says " Ssooooo, you're Al M*****r", real sarcastic and smarmy. I looked over at him and said " Oh, Mr. Borgnine, I'm such a big fan of yours! You're Sooo talented" 🤩. You have to remember he won an Oscar for his portrayal of the title character in the film "Marty". You could see him getting all puffed up at the ardent compliments. I continued " I really loved you in McHales Navy". I could see him deflate, like a slowly leaking balloon. 😈

He left a $0.25 tip!

Attachments

• 1649130046448.png
    1649130046448.png
    68 bytes · Views: 52
Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I watch a lot of the old TV shows, ones I grew up with and even older. Parrots show up in quite a lot of them. Bewitched many times featured someone being turned into a parrot. An episode of Leave It to Beaver centered around a parrot, and an episode of Hazel also featured a parrot. Amazons we're almost always used in movies and television shows, maybe because that's what many non-parrot people think of when they think of parrots.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I watch a lot of the old TV shows, ones I grew up with and even older. Parrots show up in quite a lot of them. Bewitched many times featured someone being turned into a parrot. An episode of Leave It to Beaver centered around a parrot, and an episode of Hazel also featured a parrot. Amazons we're almost always used in movies and television shows, maybe because that's what many non-parrot people think of when they think of parrots.
Ooo I always thoughts people thought of macaws. I was sitting on the balcony with Cody and someone yelled "look a whole macaw!" 🤣🤣🤣

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The Twilight zone had an episode with the title of.
4 O clock.
Is a good episode even if I am not exactly unbiased because it's a Yellow nape amazon.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
There's also an episode of the old Perry Mason series titled "The Case of the Perjured Parrot," based on Erle Stanley Gardner's novel by that title. Of course, a
parrot is an important part of the story. The parrot's voice was provided by the master of cartoon voices, Mel Blanc. It's been a while since I saw that show, but I think it was an Amazon in that one too.

Most Reactions