Medical Stuff (aka my possibly interesting(?) experience of being alive)

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I honestly think what you're facing is possibly worse than cancer.
Maybe, although there isn't that emotional burden on my parents...

I also may be getting an IV of Magnesium... should be fun

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I've had B12 injections and I have to admit they were kind of awesome. For me at least it made a noticeable difference in how I felt, both physically and emotionally, which really surprised me. I thought after a few weeks I might have a little more energy, but it was more like everything just got easier. I hope you have a similar experience :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Magnesium can make a lot of neuromuscular problems much better. I have intractable migraines and take a big dose of oral magnesium as soon as I notice a migraine. B12 is also a good way to help yourself feel much better without drugs or medications.

I am also on a gluten free diet. It is becoming easier to do as more gluten free foods are available. I can now eat milk and lactose containing foods and my acne is much much better, suggesting that my gut is healing now that I’m not irritating it with wheat.

I do still get migraines and stomach/ belly upsets but it was obvious within 2-3 days that cutting gluten made my life better. (I love to bake and eat cookies so THAT PART is hard☹️.)

I have become less vegetarian simply to try to get a good amount of protein into my body. I think chickens and turkeys have the WORST life of any captive animal and I don’t consume them because I love birds. I do eat eggs. Eggs and beans and dairy are most of my protein. Venison is also a better choice, IMO, as far as animal welfare is concerned. My state has so many deer they’re destroying the forests.

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Surprisingly, even though I eat no meat, and little egg, my vitamin B12 was fine when they last tested it.

I've rarely ate meat in my entire life. When I was about 15 months, I suddenly stopped eating all healthy foods, and was eating only bread, yoghurt, and similar foods. I eventually started eating fruits, and recently I've started eating vegetables. It is because of my SPD that i can't enjoy many foods, because either the textures or flavours are a bit overwhelming. For example, cheese, I hate it for both reasons. I've tried it time and time again, nope, still not nice. Carrots, I like it, but when swallowing, the texture is terrible and sometimes triggers my gag reflex. Not fun. Same is true with a lot of veggies.

I never really liked meat, and I never enjoyed the idea of eating an animal. I remember once while at Mauritius in 2018, my brother jokingly said, "I know why she doesn't eat meat! She's vegetarian!" Me not knowing what it was at the time, took it seriously and told my parents "I'm no longer eating meat because I'm vegetarian." Now they can't force me to eat it LOL. I remember trying chicken schnitzel once a long time ago, and it wasn't that bad. And one time I was forced to eat a piece of cooked chicken(which tasted terrible) because I spat out some veggies... my parents would never do that again, they really just had a hard time getting me to eat healthy because of my sensory issues. Now I can eat whatever I want, which include relatively healthy foods.

Sorry Ollie if I hijacked your thread a bit, I just wanted to share my experience being vegetarian πŸ˜…

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I just need to get this out, I’m SO scared.

One thing I don’t think I’ve mentioned here yet is trichotillomania. It started 2 years ago, got better last summer, then I moved schools and there was a HUGE relapse. I started compulsively pulling out my eyelashes every day. And yeah, it doesn’t sound too bad. I can just stop, right? Well, no.

During one of my worst relapses, I pulled then out for a good hour and a half but the compulsion just would not go away. In the end, my eyes were stinging so badly that I had to put socks over my hands to keep myself from doing further damage.

And I hate the looks you get when you’re seen doing it. The β€œThis is a dangerous insane and severly mentally ill person we should avoid at all costs.” looks. The fact that no one talks to you. The fact that I was blamed for every class incident. Sure, I’m mentally unstable, but I would NEVER knowingly hurt another living being.

I’m really scared of a relapse once I restart school. My lashes have actually fully grown in this summer (yay!!!) and I would like to keep it that way.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Surprisingly, even though I eat no meat, and little egg, my vitamin B12 was fine when they last tested it.

I've rarely ate meat in my entire life. When I was about 15 months, I suddenly stopped eating all healthy foods, and was eating only bread, yoghurt, and similar foods. I eventually started eating fruits, and recently I've started eating vegetables. It is because of my SPD that i can't enjoy many foods, because either the textures or flavours are a bit overwhelming. For example, cheese, I hate it for both reasons. I've tried it time and time again, nope, still not nice. Carrots, I like it, but when swallowing, the texture is terrible and sometimes triggers my gag reflex. Not fun. Same is true with a lot of veggies.

I never really liked meat, and I never enjoyed the idea of eating an animal. I remember once while at Mauritius in 2018, my brother jokingly said, "I know why she doesn't eat meat! She's vegetarian!" Me not knowing what it was at the time, took it seriously and told my parents "I'm no longer eating meat because I'm vegetarian." Now they can't force me to eat it LOL. I remember trying chicken schnitzel once a long time ago, and it wasn't that bad. And one time I was forced to eat a piece of cooked chicken(which tasted terrible) because I spat out some veggies... my parents would never do that again, they really just had a hard time getting me to eat healthy because of my sensory issues. Now I can eat whatever I want, which include relatively healthy foods.

Sorry Ollie if I hijacked your thread a bit, I just wanted to share my experience being vegetarian πŸ˜…
No issue!

Most Reactions