Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Sadly, Avery's person was the husband who died 15 years ago, and I'm told he did a lot with him, took him for rides frequently and just spent time with him. When he passed, his wife kept the birds, but kept them in their cages, afraid to take them out. So, they got the bottom of the cages cleaned every day or so, and food (Walmart seed mix :( ) and water, and some attention, but never out of the cages. Avery's cage was so worn out they were holding it together with bungee cords.

As time went on, the wife's health was also failing, and she had care givers in the house with her 24/7, so the birds were used to a lot of people coming and going, but the cages were in an upstairs hallway where everyone passed by to care for her. They weren't paid much attention. The woman finally got to where she truly needed skilled care and was taken to a nursing home. The house was suddenly completely empty. Her son was going in twice a day to feed them, clean the cages, and turn lights and a radio on in the morning, and off in the evening.

Their neighbor of 50 years is a family friend of ours, and she talks with the son often. He knew it wasn't any way for the birds to live, and she immediately thought of me, to ask what to do. This was 4 days into them being all alone in the house. She only mentioned Avery, so I didn't know there was another bird until I got there to see him. There was also a sun conure named Petey, who just died the night before. I knew that would be the same fate for Avery if we didn't get him out of there.

I had originally planned to pick him up and take him to the refuge for them, but after learning about him, I decided to foster him until he got settled, used to having attention and freedom from his tiny cage. So, it was cold and rainy in November. We had to get him in my carrier. Avery seemed comfortable with the son, so I had to explain to him how to get him to step up and take him out of the cage. He looked kind of scared about it and asked what if he flies away? We're inside, and he hasn't been able to even flap his wings in 15+ years. Where's he gonna go? He timidly took him out, and he stepped right up to my hand and just hung out with me while we all talked.

Avery whistled and jabbered all the way home, and was so happy! I spent lots of time hanging out and talking to him, and the bond happened waaaaay faster than I expected, given what I thought I knew about greys. By day two (or one? ;) ) I knew he wasn't ever going to the refuge. We were instant besties, and I just adore him. ♥️ I do send updates to the son, who's very happy that Avery gets a life filled with love and attention, and he's shocked by some of the amazing things he does. He does hope to come see him one of these days, and I think that's great. I'm curious how Avery will react to seeing him. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sadly, Avery's person was the husband who died 15 years ago, and I'm told he did a lot with him, took him for rides frequently and just spent time with him. When he passed, his wife kept the birds, but kept them in their cages, afraid to take them out. So, they got the bottom of the cages cleaned every day or so, and food (Walmart seed mix :( ) and water, and some attention, but never out of the cages. Avery's cage was so worn out they were holding it together with bungee cords.

As time went on, the wife's health was also failing, and she had care givers in the house with her 24/7, so the birds were used to a lot of people coming and going, but the cages were in an upstairs hallway where everyone passed by to care for her. They weren't paid much attention. The woman finally got to where she truly needed skilled care and was taken to a nursing home. The house was suddenly completely empty. Her son was going in twice a day to feed them, clean the cages, and turn lights and a radio on in the morning, and off in the evening.

Their neighbor of 50 years is a family friend of ours, and she talks with the son often. He knew it wasn't any way for the birds to live, and she immediately thought of me, to ask what to do. This was 4 days into them being all alone in the house. She only mentioned Avery, so I didn't know there was another bird until I got there to see him. There was also a sun conure named Petey, who just died the night before. I knew that would be the same fate for Avery if we didn't get him out of there.

I had originally planned to pick him up and take him to the refuge for them, but after learning about him, I decided to foster him until he got settled, used to having attention and freedom from his tiny cage. So, it was cold and rainy in November. We had to get him in my carrier. Avery seemed comfortable with the son, so I had to explain to him how to get him to step up and take him out of the cage. He looked kind of scared about it and asked what if he flies away? We're inside, and he hasn't been able to even flap his wings in 15+ years. Where's he gonna go? He timidly took him out, and he stepped right up to my hand and just hung out with me while we all talked.

Avery whistled and jabbered all the way home, and was so happy! I spent lots of time hanging out and talking to him, and the bond happened waaaaay faster than I expected, given what I thought I knew about greys. By day two or one? ;) ) I knew he wasn't ever going to the refuge. We were instant besties, and I just adore him. ♥️ I do send updates to the son, who's very happy that Avery gets a life filled with love and attention, and he's shocked by some of the amazing things he does. He does hope to come see him one of these days, and I think that's great. I'm curious how Avery will react to seeing him. 🤷‍♂️
This is a true birdie miracle rescue story! When Avery crosses the Rainbow Bridge someday, the original owner will see his old buddy again and he will know what a great second chance at life that you gave him!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
We had some more time to explore yesterday, and after a bit, he decided he'd had enough, climbed out and walked across the floor to his old cage. 🙄 This morning he went back to look around more, and I moved a few familiar things over, and gave him a big new box to chew up and food and water. Also put some veg and pasta in a bowl on the floor while he's learning where everything is. He's in his glory now, so I'm not sure if I'll leave him in there while I go to work, or go back to the old cage where he's more comfortable. Leaning towards the new castle since he's been having a blast in there for a couple hours already.

Still a work in progress as I await more decorations, but it's coming along :)
20230629_101848.jpg
20230629_101916.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
We had some more time to explore yesterday, and after a bit, he decided he'd had enough, climbed out and walked across the floor to his old cage. 🙄 This morning he went back to look around more, and I moved a few familiar things over, and gave him a big new box to chew up and food and water. Also put some veg and pasta in a bowl on the floor while he's learning where everything is. He's in his glory now, so I'm not sure if I'll leave him in there while I go to work, or go back to the old cage where he's more comfortable. Leaning towards the new castle since he's been having a blast in there for a couple hours already.

Still a work in progress as I await more decorations, but it's coming along :)
View attachment 52199View attachment 52200
Oh wow, Jon! Not only is his new palace absolutely huge, but the entertainment and dining options are first rate too. He's loving it, and I'm so happy for him!!😍

Most Reactions