Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Can it possibly get any better for this little guy? After he gained a little confidence exploring the outside of his cage, I offered him my hand. He stepped up and I talked to him and slowly walked around the house so he could start learning his surroundings. If he looked intimidated, we stopped and talked and waited until he looked calm, then continued the tour. I sat down on the couch with him on my arm and just let him be. He doesn't quite understand the difference between chew toys and my clothes, but I'm sure he'll figure it out. Or not. (Looking at you, Baxter 🤣 )

After a while, he moved to the crook of my arm and put his head down. Okay let's see... Yup! 🥰😍❤️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Jon I just can't stop watching and re-watching this! Poor baby, he must've spent every day longing for this for so many years, I'm crying happy tears for him and for you!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Update for today. Avery seems to be getting a little more comfortable with the new surroundings as we take frequent walks around the house while I talk to him. We sat in a rocking chair by the window for a few minutes, and he was visibly uncomfortable. Not sure yet if it was the window or the curtains, but I decided the couch was a better spot for the moment. We sat and chatted for a while. And I asked if he wanted some scratches. No go. Until I held my hands in my lap. As long as it was on HIS terms, scratches were acceptable, so he put his head down, walked up and rubbed his head and beak on my hands. I think maybe he took lessons from a cat somewhere for that one, and also in cat fashion, during head scratches, put the head down and the butt up in the air! 🤣 Too funny and so stinking cute! ❤️

I made a pilgrimage to the refuge this afternoon. No he stayed home, I didn't drop him off. I'm getting attached to the little bugger already. 🙄 I stocked up on food since I was getting low for Tucker and Baxter anyway. Of course I came home with new toys, nice big perches, and some big bowls suitable for bathing if he feels the need. :) The one he came with is so small he couldn't possibly bathe in it. Speaking of which, he came in with me while I had my shower this morning and seemed quite comfortable up on the curtain rod. After I was washed up, I figured I'd see what he thinks. If he stepped away or lunged, it's an obvious no. Buuuut he stepped right up and I brought him down to the shower perch. He looked really happy to be there in the steam, but when I gave him a little mist, he didn't quite know what to make of it at first. Back off, relax, try again. He started spreading his wings for a few minutes with a very light mist on him, then decided he'd had enough. I followed his cues, shut off the water and opened the curtain so he could see he wasn't trapped. He started whistling. :)

Oh, I heard his first word since coming here this afternoon! He has lots of cool sounds and whistles, but no words until today. I was sitting on the floor by his cage talking to my daughter on the phone, and he piped in with a lovely HELLO. My daughter heard it as well, so she is my witness lol.

Another good day in the books, and pretty impressive for 2 1/2 days with me. I'm thinking he's here to stay. At least I'm really hoping so. :)❤️

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulations, you are near to or setting a record for a re-homed Grey! Of course, it really helps to be using your Parrot knowledge. You are proving that it really works. For that a huge Thank You for providing it as part of a Thread.

Avery is the big winner here and what a wonderful World he has opening in front of him!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Who was I kidding? There's no way I could give him up now. Guess you could say I'm totally smitten with the little guy. Sooooo much personality coming out more every day. It's official, he's home for good! ❤️

Avery's vocalizations are more and more frequent, and more complex as the days go by. He says his name in context of mumbled sentences I haven't quite figured out yet. He's definitely mimicking several of the sounds and whistles that I do frequently, and whistles parts of songs that are getting longer and more involved.

Confidence is still growing as well. He explored and moved into the new cage on his own. Even tried to pull newspaper from the old one to the new one. That was funny to watch! This morning, he was a bit unsure, but finally decided my shoulder was an acceptable place to hang out, which made breakfast preparation MUCH easier. :) He much prefers to be on my hand facing me, studying me like Patches always did.

Oh, he gave me a kiss! Bumped his beak against my cheek and made a quick kiss noise. Totally caught me off guard since I haven't really given him the privelge of being close enough to bite my face. Sneaky little bugger caught me! 😍

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Who was I kidding? There's no way I could give him up now. Guess you could say I'm totally smitten with the little guy. Sooooo much personality coming out more every day. It's official, he's home for good! ❤️

Avery's vocalizations are more and more frequent, and more complex as the days go by. He says his name in context of mumbled sentences I haven't quite figured out yet. He's definitely mimicking several of the sounds and whistles that I do frequently, and whistles parts of songs that are getting longer and more involved.

Confidence is still growing as well. He explored and moved into the new cage on his own. Even tried to pull newspaper from the old one to the new one. That was funny to watch! This morning, he was a bit unsure, but finally decided my shoulder was an acceptable place to hang out, which made breakfast preparation MUCH easier. :) He much prefers to be on my hand facing me, studying me like Patches always did.

Oh, he gave me a kiss! Bumped his beak against my cheek and made a quick kiss noise. Totally caught me off guard since I haven't really given him the privelge of being close enough to bite my face. Sneaky little bugger caught me! 😍
Well I really don't know who you thought you were kidding with this whole taking him to the refuge thing, that was never EVER going to happen with you around! My heartiest congratulations now that it's "officially official"!! Avery could not possibly have wished for a better home and custodian than he has found with you and I am just so thrilled and happy for both of you!! 💖 💖 💖

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Haha, the dynamic has started changing already. Since Avery arrived, Baxter has suddenly started accepting scratches from my wife and son. Likely intended as punishment for me. "You wanna pay attention to that new guy, FINE! I'll go snuggle with your wife! So there, traitor!" 🤣

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Carrots are a hit! :)
20221116_203842.jpg
20221116_203822.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Avery found such a great home! Reading your story brings me joy. So happy for you and Avery both. He sounds like quite an incredible bird! Can’t wait to see how he continues to adapt to his new flock. Thank you for giving him such a loving home.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Avery looks like he needs a cigar, a homberg, and a beer. I mean, I’m thinking of those old-man detective stories with Avery dispensing hard-boiled wisdom.

Greys look so intelligent. What a neat bird!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thank you all! He just amazes me more every day :) So last night while I was cooking supper he was being very vocal with all kinds of sounds and more words. My youngest son has a runny nose going on and Avery has decided that the big sniffling sound is great fun! Anyway, my wife and I were talking in the kitchen (Avery is still living in the dining room for now) and he made a kissy sound again. I asked him to give me a kiss, and he did a nice big kiss noise. Of course I had to gush and praise him and say, "You're such a good boy, Avery!" His immediate response....... "I know!" 🤣🤣🤣 We all burst out laughing, and he's definitely figured out my laugh already. OMG, he just keeps getting better. I can't believe he's only been here for a week yesterday. Feels like he's just been part of the family for ever. ❤️ He just fits, you know?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Aaawwwwwwwwwwww ... and just when I thought I couldn't love him or his story more, suddenly I do - it all feels just like magic! 💖 💖 💖

Most Reactions

Latest posts