Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Goood to see Davy is flying just fine. Also glad you didnot resort to imping, which is almost an art form and unless the burd is hooded or otherwise restrained is very traumatic to them. Very experienced falcomers some times do this for a valued raptor, and then just for a single feather, I've never ever heard or read about it being done to a parrot.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy Jones - An African Grey
Goood to see Davy is flying just fine. Also glad you didnot resort to imping, which is almost an art form and unless the burd is hooded or otherwise restrained is very traumatic to them. Very experienced falcomers some times do this for a valued raptor, and then just for a single feather, I've never ever heard or read about it being done to a parrot.

Davy was under anesthesia while he did the procedure, so it wasn't too traumatic.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Hi guys! It's been a while since I checked in. Davy is 6.5 months old now. We discovered that he has a symbiotic relationship with our pet goose. He drops 60% of his food on the floor and our goose cleans it up for us. I have tons of videos of him talking but I haven't had the time to edit them. In the best one he is mimicking our laughter.

He has really grown!

3ETkpLi.jpg

ObFv4EY.jpg

fFn3KVB.jpg

AbqRrK9.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
he's adorable...I am glad things are going well! I was nervous looking at how young he looked in some of the earlier posts!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
He was ridiculously adorable today. His talking is outrageously cute!

[ame="https://youtu.be/P0ElIVk0pjI"]A long conversation with baby Davy! - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Should I not allow Davy on my head?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Should I not allow Davy on my head?

There is some debate (especially among old-school parrot people) about height and birds--- I don't agree with it entirely, but I will say that if they know you can't get them down, they will often take advantage---EXHIBIT A) My U2 who I have had for years went into our bathroom today and climbed on the shower-rod (well past puberty)----that's fine...BUT, until I climbed up to eye-level, she was NOT going to step down (no biting...just very stubborn---she DID bite in the past though in similar situations-, albeit, years ago). The same thing can happen on your head and it does put you in a vulnerable position (esp with hair to get tangled in). Your bird is very young and you may find a different personality surfaces around puberty, so honestly, while I am not old-school in my thinking, I wouldn't let her up there until she is a fully hormonal adult---otherwise things could change suddenly and you could be in over your head (no pun intended).

Sometimes my bird (early on) would also cling to my shoulders and hang off my back--biting at my hands if I tried to take her down. This was years ago POST PUBERTY, but it definitely puts you in a weak position and that whole power-trip thing can be a big deal to some birds (even though they aren't into dominance etc)...they are smart and stubborn and know what THEY want.

On your head, you can't see what he is doing, you can't make eye-contact and you really cant protect yourself. I think it is often fine, but in this case, you are dealing with a very young bird...So just like a kid has to be 16 to get a driver's licence, I would wait on this privilege...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts