Meet my new baby, Davy Jones!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy Jones - An African Grey
Carefully vet the videos you show to Davy, you don't want him picking up bad habits from parrots on screen, things like screaming or cursing. And he very well could do that - Salty learns a lot of words and songs from watching youtube videos. He usually introduces him self, and asks 'Are you a bird? A pretty bird?'. Try looking at videos with one specific type of parrot, you might find Davy likes only them - Salty loves videos with Indian Ringnecks and learns fastest from them. Oddly enough, videos of Amazons only get him excited and African Greys leave him flat and he will wander away.

I'm definitely going to preview them from now on. The first video I clicked on was just a parrot yelling every swear word ever spoken. We're trying to clean up our language before he really starts talking. And I never want to tell him to shutup or anything! I feel like birds that are constantly saying stuff like that are being emotionally abused on some level.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
I've started teaching Davy colors. He said Orange and Yellow yesterday! But I don't know if he is actually understanding what the colors are yet or just trying to say the words.

I have a bunch of different shaped plastic objects of 6 different colors. Triangles, binkis, keys, gears, etc. I show him each object and then say the color. I'll show him a few of the same color at the same time (different objects all of the same color) and I'm hoping he realizes the pattern is the color. Not sure if he is old enough to figure this out yet, but he is a pretty smart boy so I am trying.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
DJ is certainly a typical African Grey! Seems like he will be a very good talker as he grows up! He is very curious and I bet he will be mischievous/a trouble maker too! ;)
My Smokey ( Timneh..R.I.P. :() liked watching YT vids of other Grey's. She would bob her head,dance in circles,and mumble to them :rolleyes:
Amy likes other Amazon vids (mostly other Blue Fronts or Double Yellow Heads)
BB doesn't seem to care...he would rather beak-bang at the monitor! :12:

You are going to have many wonderful years with Davy Jones :D

Jim

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
DJ is so precocious! Ah, if only our conures could speak and learn with the ease AGs have!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
I didn't even realize DJ could be a nickname until just now lol!!

I've been reading Alex and Me - about the bird a researcher trained for 30 years to test the intelligence of greys. In it she said that she was most successful in the beginning by giving him different materials to tear up and labeling them.

She gave him thinks like paper, wool, and corks. Are these materials safe to give to Davy for him to tear up? I've watched him tear stuff up and he doesn't ingest it, just throws it around, but I want to make sure it's safe.

I have these wooden stirring sticks and I was worried about him swallowing splinters. What materials would be safe?

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Paper and cork, sure. Wool is probably fine as long as he doesn't try to ingest it - it's just another kind of fabric and most birds love chewing holes in that stuff. They also naturally gnaw on branches anyway, so wooden sticks are probably fine...they naturally know not to eat what they shred off of on those kinds of things, it's more of an intuitive beak-maintenance/energy-sink activity.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its not too early to start training DJ for tricks, advanced ones too. One of Salty's early tricks was to know the difference from lambs, horses, bears, piggys and other small hard plastic animals. Size apprpriate childrens toys are great teaching toys. Greys are so intelegent, I bet a small set of alphabet blocks would be an amazing teaching tool if you think Alex is your goal.

I found that once you get a parrot into learning new things, it get easier and easier. because they get eager to know new stuff. Salty was 6 months old when we started. Check out his latest video to get an idea.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Your daily dose of Davy!

[ame="https://youtu.be/9GZYSGNImtU"]Baby African Grey Parrot Rolling Around 🤗 - YouTube[/ame]

Its not too early to start training DJ for tricks, advanced ones too. One of Salty's early tricks was to know the difference from lambs, horses, bears, piggys and other small hard plastic animals. Size apprpriate childrens toys are great teaching toys. Greys are so intelegent, I bet a small set of alphabet blocks would be an amazing teaching tool if you think Alex is your goal.

I found that once you get a parrot into learning new things, it get easier and easier. because they get eager to know new stuff. Salty was 6 months old when we started. Check out his latest video to get an idea.

OMG I love him!! I subbed. So many good trick ideas. Where on earth did you get that piano!?

Could you make a video showing the very first steps you took to training him? Like what did you very first do to teach him how to roll over?

I have little doubt that my Davy will be smarter than Alex. I don't approve of everything she did to him. He was a bit abused and unhappy :(. Plus she started him at a year old, and Davy started learning how to talk at two months.

I bought a lesson plan for teaching babies and toddlers how to speak and read. It has training cards, etc.

We do ten minute training sessions throughout the day 3-5 times a day. Plus constant talking, etc. I work from home so I give him as much attention as possible.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
So cute!! :heart:

For his safety, you should remove the ink before giving him the pen.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
The past few days his behavior / personality totally changed. He wouldn't step up even with a treat and he wouldn't really let me scratch him at all anymore :( it kept getting worse so the only solution I could think of was to trim his wings. I never wanted to do that to him so I'm really, really sad for him. But he is already being a lot sweeter and cuddly again. I hope someday I can let him fly again, but I don't want him to become totally asocial.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
In the grand scheme of things, not feeling in the mood for scritches isn't much. He might be molting and not feeling in the mood. Just like sometimes you don't want hugs or kisses, he might not be in the mood that day or that week.

At his age, clipping his wings would have a significant impact on the rest of his life - we're talking psychological and physiological impact.

Birds need to fledge and fly first before clipping. If you clip before that, then they tend to be more insecure since they don't have that ability to fly and learn how to navigate with full use of their body, which sometimes results in lashing out later because they can't escape situations naturally. It also means that their muscles aren't as developed as they should be. Of course, you can work on this years later. But avian health is very dependent on their wings bolstering their respiratory (and therefore also heart health) system. For some birds, clipping their wings also triggers plucking - it has that kind of impact.

Some birds are ok with it and have come to terms with it. But almost every breeder will agree to let the bird fledge first before clipping.

He's a baby. Let him learn and grow first. His personality will be changing all the way past puberty. It's ok. Just follow his lead. The only time clipping is mandatory is, say dive bombing - something we've experienced and not clipped even then.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
In the grand scheme of things, not feeling in the mood for scritches isn't much. He might be molting and not feeling in the mood. Just like sometimes you don't want hugs or kisses, he might not be in the mood that day or that week.

At his age, clipping his wings would have a significant impact on the rest of his life - we're talking psychological and physiological impact.

Birds need to fledge and fly first before clipping. If you clip before that, then they tend to be more insecure since they don't have that ability to fly and learn how to navigate with full use of their body, which sometimes results in lashing out later because they can't escape situations naturally. It also means that their muscles aren't as developed as they should be. Of course, you can work on this years later. But avian health is very dependent on their wings bolstering their respiratory (and therefore also heart health) system. For some birds, clipping their wings also triggers plucking - it has that kind of impact.

Some birds are ok with it and have come to terms with it. But almost every breeder will agree to let the bird fledge first before clipping.

He's a baby. Let him learn and grow first. His personality will be changing all the way past puberty. It's ok. Just follow his lead. The only time clipping is mandatory is, say dive bombing - something we've experienced and not clipped even then.

It's already too late :( :( :( I totally and completely regret with all my heart. I don't even feel like I am responsible enough to own a parrot anymore. I've been crying for hours. I accidentally went off my antidepressents cold turkey four days ago and that makes me lose my mind. I don't deserve him and I should never have kids. I am the worst person ever. I contacted The Parrot University to find out if they have any feathers I can use to do an imping. I'd even fly to Ohio to have it done at this point I am so heart broken.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I wouldn't worry about it. DJ will get over it! Over thirty years ago I made the same mistake with Amy. He was just four months old when I got him and wasn't flying. Since he was going to be my co-pilot with me in my Big Rig I kept him clipped because he was going EVERYWHERE with me (still does). I let his sleeves (feathers) grow in winter coz he wasn't going outside then the shorten his sleeves come spring. Yes,it is true about the chest (keel) muscles not developing as they should,and we do flapflap lessons,but at this stage he would just rather WALK ( he has more miles on his feet then on his arms:rolleyes:)or he'd rather hitch a ride on me,but it hasn't effected his birdonality.
DJ's sleeves will grow back again. Just chalk it up to being a new parront and not knowing :eek:

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Believe me you will make way, way less mistakes than folk routinely made just 10-15 years ago with their parrots - thats how far information has come on raising healthy parrots. And forget about prior to that, there were so many misconceptions and just plain bad information in books written by so called "experts" that its a wonder that any parrot older than 20 is still alive. But they are. Really, the barbaric things recommended were myriad and just plain wrong. Things like splitting a parrots tongue down the middle to get them to talk. SO if clipping Davy's wings early is the only thing that you might regret, you are so far ahead of the game! No guilt ! Only learn. Davy Jones needs you and you need him, and thats a great relationship to have.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy needs his wings. He is one of the smartest parrot breeds. The way this is impacting him psychologically is devastating. Flying was his favorite thing in the world to do. He won't even eat pine nuts right now. He doesn't understand that it is temporary. He thinks he will never fly again.

Fortunately I have great news!

Stephen at the Parrot University has collected the feathers needed to do an imping.

This is an implantation of new flight feathers. The new feathers will be inserted via a bamboo shoot into the cut feathers shaft and super glued in. They may also use a soldering iron to melt the shafts together. It’s a painless simple procedure that will take less than a half hour to complete.

Our vet has looked at the cut feathers shaft and said they are in good enough condition for the procedure! He actually learned how to do imping in med school but is brushing up on the procedure and will talk to Stephen for advice.

Davy will be able to fly again in just a few days :D

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy can fly again!! I'll post a video later :)

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
My heart sunk when I first read about Davy's plight. But I must commend you for going to such great measures in order to restore his gift of flight. Most wouldn't have done what you have to make things right for a once flighted bird. Wow!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
I still feel awful about trimming him, but he is back to normal. He does his "crazy bird" all the time (as seen here):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SG4IXjqsms"]Davy’s reaction to his favorite song after wing implants! - YouTube[/ame]

He hasn't ever started picking (which is what I was super worried about when he couldn't fly). I feel really awful because I am certain he would have became a sweet heart without him being clipped and clipping him might have turned him into a grumpy old fart. He has become much sweeter in the past week (much moreso then when he was clipped).

He sleeps on a perch next to the window in my room at night. Now every morning he lands on my face and wakes me up at dawn lol, then asks for tickles. He hasn't ever come to me for love before, I've always had to come to him, so this has been amazing. I'm sure he would have done it without ever have being clipped. I'm also getting up earlier in the morning and that has made me much more productive!

I love him so much and I'll do everything in my power to ensure he is never hurt again! He is doing great and seems to have total control of his flying abilities.

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
The most important thing is to never take anything they do personally. There's something called 'grey time', which entails reading their queues and not imposing ourselves onto them if they're not having any of it.
He will go through the terrible 2's, which can be a challenging time for grey owners. Allow him that time to test his world, rewarding his good behaviors.
Good luck with him!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

How old is DJ now? Did you have him DNA'D? So happy to see him flying again..I'm sure he is loving it :)

Jim

Most Reactions