Mesquite Play Gym?

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Does anyone have a play gym made of Mesquite/kiawe tree ? This is the only type of branch that I'm able to think of that doesn't require driving half way through the island and branches that aren't exposed to traffic and gas exhausts. I'm mostly looking for ideas now and I have a few questions..

Based on your experience, what is the most efficient way of killing parasites/bugs?

And one more question. Is it okay to take fallen branches from the woods? There is an abundant amount of trees near my house somewhat on a mountain. But it's also really close to a school so I don't know if I have to talk to them and ask since it might be their property, its that or the Department of Agriculture(?) since its also quite near a park.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No , i wouldn't use mesquite . Guava would work good. Liche , can't remember all the local stuff in your area. Most slow growing trees have harder wood, and last longer as perches.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
If I'm remembering correctly, mesquite is a fairly soft wood and has thorns you'd have to remove. Probably not a real suitable one for parrots...

I've always allowed natural wood to dry out, then sanded off the top layer, power hosed it and (as best I could for large pieces) poured boiling water over it until I was satisfied it was as clean as it was going to get. But I was sterilizing manzanita.

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

On the way home I found some "perfect sized" Mesquite trees and literally snatched them up and ran home to cut off branches and hose them off. This was prior to reading this thread again. Right now they are drying off in the sun and will remain there for a few days. I'll be using them as perches for my Parakeets incase the playstand doesn't work.

My neighbor was also generous enough to help look for Guava trees the next time he goes hiking in the forest. In addition to that, I started seeking help to find Guava and Lychee trees on Facebook and IG, so hopefully that will work out.

And I think I have a different variety of Mesquite. The ones I have had no thorns...or they shriveled. It had the same leaves and pods that were online. I'll also be taking that method to make the future playstand/perches.

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

Here are the branches I took
photo2_zpsdf3f9811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Most Reactions

Latest posts