Metal in Cages

CGF

Apr 9, 2024
Parrots
I have 11 birds. 2 Pineapple Conures and 9 Cockatiels
Hi everyone! Iā€™m new to the group and I thought I could ask a few questions about some things Iā€™ve been researching! I am in the process of taking out any metal in the bird cages such as metal clasps, rings, chains, and those metal washers that are used to connect perches to cages. (all pictured below) I already ordered plastic clasps for the toys and such.

FIRST QUESTION:
What would be a bird safe alternative to the metal washers? Pictured below are the metal washers, Rubber, or Nylon Plastic Rubbers(in order). Is the rubber or nylon safe for the birds? I also have a toy with a metal chain, should that be removed as well? The other 3 pics are ones I found online to show what I'm already replacing with plastic clasps.
1712675684807.png
1712675697584.png
1712675717671.png
1712675769440.png
1712675795824.png
1712675804863.png
1712675816653.png

SECOND QUESTION:
I have a cockatiel that has cataracts in both eyes and is pretty much completely blind, and I put a bunch of those bells in her cage since she can hear those and play with them. Should I take them out of the cage and try to find something else or are they safe? If not, what other toys should I put in her cage instead that are blind-bird safe?

THIRD QUESTION:
Has anyone ever used Activated charcoal for birds? I read that it can save a birdā€™s life if they ingested something toxic or have metal poisoning. Is that true? Should I get one as a preventative measure?
1712675868421.png
1712675938005.png

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Stainless steel is the most hygienic metal, the most hygienic of any material

I think some people go overboard with metals. Our birds aren't actually consuming metal when they lick or bite it as some people think. Leave the bells for the poor blind one, it's not getting metal poisoning just by playing with the bell unless it's corroded or it bites through the metal coating. There is more chance of metal mineral consumption through your local water supply.

If you want to compare rubber, nylons and plastics, well their worse than metal, our birds can actually bite into those soft materials and swallow pieces of them, they're full of all kinds of bad stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGF
OP
C

CGF

Apr 9, 2024
Parrots
I have 11 birds. 2 Pineapple Conures and 9 Cockatiels
Thank you so much! I was just worried because I had seen someones bird get lead poisoning from one of the metal backings.

I've also seen way too many injuries on birds with those metal clips going through beaks and such.

Thank you so much for responding I appreciate it!

Most Reactions