Midnight Foot Injury

ThrowawayBirdGal

Jan 7, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies
I’m worried about my budgie Irene. She just woke me up flapping, so I went to check. She got her claw stuck in the cage cover. No big deal, she gets free, but now she won’t put weight on the foot. She’s using her leg, just at the knee, staying upright. She won’t put her back toe over the perch proper though. What should I do until morning? Is there anything I can do that wouldn’t further stress her out? She’s a lot more skittish (and bitey) than her partner.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I’m worried about my budgie Irene. She just woke me up flapping, so I went to check. She got her claw stuck in the cage cover. No big deal, she gets free, but now she won’t put weight on the foot. She’s using her leg, just at the knee, staying upright. She won’t put her back toe over the perch proper though. What should I do until morning? Is there anything I can do that wouldn’t further stress her out? She’s a lot more skittish (and bitey) than her partner.

Happy new year to you and Irene....
She is very lucky to have you to the rescue in time. You mentioned that.....

.....she won’t put weight on the foot.
.....She’s using her leg, just at the knee, staying upright.
......She won’t put her back toe over the perch proper

So, it seems her leg or foot is very hurt.
Here's what I would do....

1) Limit movement as much as possible by putting her in small cage with out perch to prevent her from falling.

2)minimize disturbance, separate her from another bird, let her rest in a quiet corner

3) provide her favorite food and water, if she doesn't eat, mix honey and warm water for her to drink every hour

4) Prepare questions to ask your avian vet....Best case.....it could be a sprained foot and she will be fine with simple pain killer. Worst case.....it could be a fracture toe or a broken finger. The only way to know for sure is by taking X-ray. You might find this thread informative.....

Post in thread 'Is there anything topical that can help with leg pain' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...that-can-help-with-leg-pain.91292/post-939909

5) to prevent possible repeated accident, please consider trying out these ideas....

A.. To ensure that she sleeps well through the nights without waking up to climb around, use black cage cover or move her cage to a darker corner.
B...nail trimming or use big natural wooden perch that cause her nail to wear out naturally

Please keep us posted

OP
T

ThrowawayBirdGal

Jan 7, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies
Happy new year to you and Irene....
She is very lucky to have you to the rescue in time. You mentioned that.....

.....she won’t put weight on the foot.
.....She’s using her leg, just at the knee, staying upright.
......She won’t put her back toe over the perch proper

So, it seems her leg or foot is very hurt.
Here's what I would do....

1) Limit movement as much as possible by putting her in small cage with out perch to prevent her from falling.

2)minimize disturbance, separate her from another bird, let her rest in a quiet corner

3) provide her favorite food and water, if she doesn't eat, mix honey and warm water for her to drink every hour

4) Prepare questions to ask your avian vet....Best case.....it could be a sprained foot and she will be fine with simple pain killer. Worst case.....it could be a fracture toe or a broken finger. The only way to know for sure is by taking X-ray. You might find this thread informative.....

Post in thread 'Is there anything topical that can help with leg pain' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...that-can-help-with-leg-pain.91292/post-939909

5) to prevent possible repeated accident, please consider trying out these ideas....

A.. To ensure that she sleeps well through the nights without waking up to climb around, use black cage cover or move her cage to a darker corner.
B...nail trimming or use big natural wooden perch that cause her nail to wear out naturally

Please keep us posted
I got her separated into my smaller carry cage, no perches, with some food and water. She bit me to heck and back, but it’s worth it. The vet says they have no openings until Monday, when I have school. I think I’ll take off (if neither of my parents can take her that day) to take her out there, about an hour drive. Yeehaw, that’s what we get for living in the boonies. Thank you for your help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts