Midnight Mania Flapping- OOps sorry this belongs in Cockatiels

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
For the past 2 weeks everyother night my cockatiels ( 5 of them) awaken me at about 3 am flapping their wings and skreeching hanging from the walls of their cages. I have 2 cages sitting side by side ( touching). They are covered at night and I have tried covering them seperately and together- Makes no difference. I do not have anything that would make them freak out:ninja:- no lights, no other animals, no noise. It just makes me crazy!!! Between 3am and 4 am. - I am exhausted!!:eek:Any ideas or do I just have ghosts? My 5 inquiring little birds:white1::yellow1: :yellow1::grey::grey:need to know what you think. I will start looking for a Ghost Buster.👻

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
For the past 2 weeks everyother night my cockatiels ( 5 of them) awaken me at about 3 am flapping their wings and skreeching hanging from the walls of their cages. I have 2 cages sitting side by side ( touching). They are covered at night and I have tried covering them seperately and together- Makes no difference. I do not have anything that would make them freak out:ninja:- no lights, no other animals, no noise. It just makes me crazy!!! Between 3am and 4 am. - I am exhausted!!:eek:Any ideas or do I just have ghosts? My 5 inquiring little birds:white1::yellow1: :yellow1::grey::grey:need to know what you think. I will start looking for a Ghost Buster.👻
Oh @Niteldy, I feel your pain, and your sleeplessness! Cockatiels are, unfortunately and exhaustingly, a bit prone to the night terrors :( I have NO idea why, but mine used to do it to me as well. Nowadays I leave one side of the cage uncovered and I leave a night light on for them too – it has cut the incidence of this from two or three times a week way down to oh once every few months or so. Certainly my quality of sleep has improved and I’m quite sure theirs has too, it *must* be much better and definitely safer for them to not wake in fright in the middle of the night so often!

I hope this helps you get some sleep!! 🙏🙏🙏

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I too have 5 Cockatiels and my birds freak out at any time of day.
Mine are mostly in separate cages except for two sisters.
I keep the area well lighted and cover the cages a bit more than half way.
it”s done me no good so far.
What I suspected is one bird will do something that surprises the others and sets off a chain reaction.
Bad dream, flapping exercise that is unexpected.

Most Reactions

Latest posts