Might get another teil.. what should I change?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
ive been planning on another teil or another sc again but ill stick to cockateils since we live in an apartment (for now)
what should i change in tiki's inviroment or do i keep everything the same?
the new teil will stay in my room for a month or so
or is it too stressful for them for me to be with them all the time? (i spend most of my time in the room)

another change is i might make tiki a cageless bird since she doesnt really fly much and she barley ever gets locked in her cage..
she will have her own "safe space" i will use her travel cage for that purpose

is that too stressful for tiki? a new bird and her cage gets taken away?..

ask questions since i feel i am probably forgetting alot of things..

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Interesting question........

I am sure that tiki would love that cage free idea right away. And you could try this out just to see how it goes. In fact, please try free roaming for at least 6 months before bringing in a new member. And be sure to succeed in 100% potty training before you try free roaming.

From my experience, setting proper boundaries will make every member comfortable. I mean if we let Emerald have it her way, she would like to roam free, with light on 24/7, fully authorized to poop anywhere. But that will not be a comfortable thing in our shared living area, would it?

Emerald roam freely for many hours but with limitations. The cage or bird proof room is that necessary limitation.

Why the need for limitation?

1....some work can not get done with Emerald beaking in all the time

2....some thing potentially dangerous that is not foreseeable (baby sitter is needed, one would not leave a kid alone, not even with a TV)

3....over stimuli Emerald do not eat! Just play and play, or more like play and destroy!!! hence the need of limitation to her access.

4......I think Emerald feels safe to sleep in her cage. When we came home too late to put her in her sleeping cage, she went there to sleep on her own. We came back to say good night and shut the door.

Thread 'Why go cage less?' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/why-go-cage-less.38154/

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Interesting question........

I am sure that tiki would love that cage free idea right away. And you could try this out just to see how it goes. In fact, please try free roaming for at least 6 months before bringing in a new member. And be sure to succeed in 100% potty training before you try free roaming.

From my experience, setting proper boundaries will make every member comfortable. I mean if we let Emerald have it her way, she would like to roam free, with light on 24/7, fully authorized to poop anywhere. But that will not be a comfortable thing in our shared living area, would it?

Emerald roam freely for many hours but with limitations. The cage or bird proof room is that necessary limitation.

Why the need for limitation?

1....some work can not get done with Emerald beaking in all the time

2....some thing potentially dangerous that is not foreseeable (baby sitter is needed, one would not leave a kid alone, not even with a TV)

3....over stimuli Emerald do not eat! Just play and play, or more like play and destroy!!! hence the need of limitation to her access.

4......I think Emerald feels safe to sleep in her cage. When we came home too late to put her in her sleeping cage, she went there to sleep on her own. We came back to say good night and shut the door.

Thread 'Why go cage less?' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/why-go-cage-less.38154/
thanks a million emeral

Most Reactions

Latest posts