Mini but mighty

gschuetz

Apr 18, 2021
So, I have a 6-ish month old pineapple GCC, and I love him to pieces. His name is Mango, but he's spicy. He always is on a hair-trigger between loving/playful and bite a chunk of your finger off. Nothing is as bad as when he is getting ready to attack our Indian Ringneck Elsia, or already attacking her. He has no effs to give and will bite the nearest thing...usually my hand/finger.

Is it normal for a GCC to be less tolerant/aggressive with a bigger bird? Mango has the heart of a lion with her and goes all in if they are in a few feet of each other. Sometimes it seems like he is intentionally looking for a fight with her, as he will find her if she is out of her territory.

Is there a way I can get him to stop these assaults?

He certainly is the life of the party in our house...but sometimes he wants it to be fight club. Elsia isn't into it, even though she could give him the good-old what-for, so to speak. They are out of their cages most of the time when I am home, and most of the home is neutral territory. Elsia only goes after him when he is on her cage eating something.

Neither of the two birds have ever gotten injured in their little scuffles because I usually break it up...and get got in the process.

To reitterate my questions:
Is it normal for a GCC to be less tolerant/aggressive with a bigger bird?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
"Is it normal for a GCC to be less tolerant/aggressive with a bigger bird?
Is there a way I can get him to stop these assaults?"

Some Parrot are much more territorial than others and will activity drive-off others from their area, even if it is the entire home.

Cage them separately and limited to zero time out together, but only when full supervised.

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
So, I have a 6-ish month old pineapple GCC, and I love him to pieces. His name is Mango, but he's spicy. He always is on a hair-trigger between loving/playful and bite a chunk of your finger off. Nothing is as bad as when he is getting ready to attack our Indian Ringneck Elsia, or already attacking her. He has no effs to give and will bite the nearest thing...usually my hand/finger.

Is it normal for a GCC to be less tolerant/aggressive with a bigger bird? Mango has the heart of a lion with her and goes all in if they are in a few feet of each other. Sometimes it seems like he is intentionally looking for a fight with her, as he will find her if she is out of her territory.

He certainly is the life of the party in our house...but sometimes he wants it to be fight club. Elsia isn't into it, even though she could give him the good-old what-for, so to speak. They are out of their cages most of the time when I am home, and most of the home is neutral territory. Elsia only goes after him when he is on her cage eating something.

Neither of the two birds have ever gotten injured in their little scuffles because I usually break it up...and get got in the process.

To reitterate my questions:
Wow! You are right to be concerned. Look, I want to ask, which one of your birds was the first one? And when you answer that, I want to ask, how did you introduce the second bird to the first bird when you brought the second bird home, bc these quarrels may be because you did not introduce your birds properly or so. Pls answer my questions and experts here can give you further advice and I will tell you what I know based on my knowledge.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You'd be surprised, but it's common for a GCC to go for it with a bigger bird. By bigger bird I mean also birds like African Greys, and then poor things end up injured, but never seem to learn their lesson.

Well, one way to avoid the assaults is to let our the birds in different times, so one is caged while other one is out. Jealousy and being territorial can be a trigger. GCCs can be quite territorial, they love claiming pretty much everything theirs. Try to keep the birds off the other's cages. If that is impossible, then perhaps moving the cages to separate rooms. Another trick I've heard is to put a lacy curtain on the top of the cage so if the other bird lands, they will either avoid the place because they hate the feeling of lace getting stuck to their nails, OR they will stay, but the `bird which is inside the cage cannot go for their feet. I say lace because it is see-through, I don't like covering the bird's cage, not even the top during the day.

It's a really good question by BirdAddictK - which bird was the first bird? If I have to guess it would be the GCC - but let's hear you first, I am very curious.

Most Reactions

Latest posts