hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hello, I have a question about cockatiels this time!

I've heard a lot of bird Youtubers and bloggers talk about how bad mirrors are and I basically understand the concept. Mirrors can encourage hormonal behaviors if the bird doesn't understand that its reflection is not real. I removed the mirror from my lovebird's cage because of this discussion, although to be honest she didn't give her mirror the time of day anyway so it didn't have much impact.

My male cockatiel however loves his mirror. He does not masturbate with it, he taps on it, he sings to it, it's a nightly ritual to tell the mirror "pretty bird" until he falls asleep. He's an absolute menace of a bird but he's sure nice to that mirror! I'd feel bad taking it away from him. What are your thoughts on mirrors for cockatiels? Are they smart enough to see the difference between a reflection and a real bird?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'd say get rid of it. Mirrors are dangerous for all birds.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would remove it. Just start to slowly move it farther from his cage until you make it disappear. When I got my first cockatiel, which was my first bird, I gave him a mirror, and he became obsessed with it; he would hardly leave it. I just slowly took it from him over the course of two weeks.

Most Reactions