Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
Winston-red lored amazon
Oliver-yellow crowned amazon
Harley-rescued yellow naped amazon
Alex-severe macaw
Jelly Bean-black capped lory
Hi Everybody,

Yesterday afternoon ( 11/2/10, around 4:30) my red lored amazon, Winston, escaped. I searched for him from the time he went missing until past dark. I stopped at around 10:00, because it was too dark to see him and I was afraid that if he's roosting I could startle him and cause him to take flight again in the dark. I actually found him at dusk, but he was a little too high to reach and he flew off again while I was trying to reach him. When I saw him he was less than a block from my house. I also posted signs advertising a reward for anyone who finds him, notified animal control, and plan to notify and bring pictures to the local animal shelter today. I live in New Jersey and it is beginning to get cold, so finding him is more time-sensitive than if I were living somewhere warmer. I am worried sick and I am feeling so helpless. I am posting this to ask for any advice that anybody has, no matter how obvious it may seem. In addition, I would like to ask anybody reading this who lives in my area (Bergen County, NJ), to keep an eye out. I love my little feathered friend more than life itself and any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I'll make sure to let you know when I find him.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i'm sorry to hear about winston, i sure hope you find him. a friend of mine lost her african grey but after 4 days she found him in her garden eating wild bird seed. so dont give up hope! maybe put his favourite food out in the garden, or if you have a recording of his voice, you could play that loudly. let me know how it goes. x

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I am so sorry your baby is lost! Put your birds cage outside with food and water. Start looking and calling right at sun up till dusk. Carry a favorite toy and if you see him show it to him. Post on Craigs List and 911ParrotAlert Messages 70508-70537 of 70659.
I will cross post this for you as I have many friends in NJ on other forums. Keep us updated.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I'm so sorry to hear of this =[

I hope for a quick reunion for you both.

I shudder when I think how you must be feeling, but I think I'd try the following...

Plaster the place in flyers?
Leave a familiar cage open in the back garden with nummy fave food etc?
Constant calling?
Get as many local people involved as possible?
Phone the local animal rescues? (I don't know about there, but here they will look out for you also)

Best BEST BEST of luck!

Von & Cal.

OP
Y

yeb90

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
Winston-red lored amazon
Alex-severe macaw
I have located him and he appears to be fine! He is behaving normally and does not appear to be any worse for the wear. It was cold last night (the first frost) and that was one of my main concerns. However, a healthy bird (which Winston most certainly is) is heartier than one might think and, after doing some research last night, I learned that while cold temps are not ideal for birds, they can withstand pretty cold temperatures (at least for relatively short periods of time (it was in the low forties last night when I checked and, considering there was a frost, the temp. probably went lower than that).

I heard him calling at around 9 AM and somebody called a few minutes later saying that he was on a roof one street over. We spent a while trying to get him down (calling him, showing him food and his favorite treat, we brought over Harley, my yellow naped amazon, with whom Winston is smitten, etc.). Eventually the man who found him brought over a ladder (knowing how easily a parrot can be spooked, this made me very nervous, but I decided that it was the best option left after the things we had already tried and I told him to approach very slowly). When I saw Winston was getting nervous I told him to stop approaching with the ladder. Unfortunately, either he did not hear me or did not realize just how easily a bird can be spooked and Winston took flight again. Thankfully, we saw exactly which direction he flew in and I found him a few minutes later a street over on the windowsill of a neighbor's house.

The two things that helped the most in finding Winston were the signs I posted (with a reward, I actually know the man who found Winston and am positive he would have told me regardless of the reward, but that will not always be the case and a reward is a great motivator) and calling him (Winston did not initially respond to my calls, but once he did, he continued to do so, and hearing him was a great help in locating him after he flew off the roof).

Thank you to everybody for your support and advice!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i'm thrilled you found him ok! i've been thinking of him all day. glad you have a happy ending x

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Yay!! I am so happy you have your guy back!!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Yay! I'm so happy you found him. Guess who needs his wings clipped! lol

OP
Y

yeb90

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
Winston-red lored amazon
Alex-severe macaw
Yay! I'm so happy you found him. Guess who needs his wings clipped! lol

He sure does! I was waiting for him to complete the molt before clipping his wings, but I have learned from this terrifying incident that it is a better idea to clip him the second he has enough flight feathers to fly at all (unless I were to thoroughly recall train him and really teach him to fly, but taking into account where I live and where his cage is in the house I have come to the conclusion that it is safer to keep him clipped).

He is still doing great, almost twelve hours after finding him. The only ill effects of his foray seem to be that he is very tired (to be expected) and he was pretty hungry (again, to be expected).

Thanks again everybody!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Glad it all ended well, hopefully all members will learn a valuable lesson from your terrible experience.
Each and every moment with them are so precious

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
That is FANTASTIC news!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

*holds up coffee cup* Cheers to you and Winston!

I love hearing it's all worked out!

Jodi

Oct 1, 2010
East Coast United States
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Panini
Blue Crown Conure Amos
So so so happy for you and Winston! I lost my conure last year (found him the next day) but it was dreadful, so I know what you went through!
Love a happy ending!

Most Reactions