Monitor Lizard Ownership: Important Points to Consider

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20
[FONT=&quot]Each of the many monitors under my care at zoos and in my own collection has left me with the feeling that they are somehow ā€œmore complicatedā€ than other reptiles. Recent research into their breeding and hunting strategies bears this outā€¦monitors do indeed appear to be the most advanced of all lizards. Pets often become unusually responsive to their owners, who sometimes ascribe mammal-like qualities to these fascinating reptiles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Among the monitors we also find the worldā€™s largest lizards, a fact which adds to their allure. But giants such as the Water, Lace, Crocodile and Nile Monitors are tough to manage even in zoos, and are suitable only for those few keepers with the knowledge, space, maturity and finances to meet their needs. More importantly, it must be understood that all monitors can inflict severe injuriesā€¦in fact, fatalities are a real possibility where young children or incapacitated adults are concerned. Today Iā€™ll review some important points that, if considered beforehand, will greatly improve life for both monitor and monitor owner. As always, please be sure to post any questions or thoughts below.[/FONT]
Read the rest of this article here Monitor Lizard Ownership Considerations | That Reptile Blog
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Frank, recently I was browsing at a reptile store, and saw the most beautiful and exotic looking Black Tree Monitor.

I will never be able to look at a monitor lizard (of any kind) in the same way after seeing the pilot episode of "Fatal Attractions". In short, it was about a guy who lived in a tiny studio apartment with several large (and illegal) species of monitors. He basically adjusted his apartment for his reptiles in regard to temperature and particulars, and lived like he was living IN the monitors' enclosure! One day he got bit. It of course it got infected to the point he got very ill... The lizards were illegal, and he didn't want them confiscated at ANY COST for fear they wouldn't be taken care of very well, which is why he didn't call for help or go to the hospital!! Well, he died and his pets ate him. The neighbors called authorities after they hadn't seen the guy for a while, and a horrible stench was coming from his apartment!! They went into detail about the gruesome scene they found :eek:. I love that tv show, but I will never forget that episode! It was very gross and absolutely disturbing. :26: So disturbing I thought about it for days afterward. I think I'll stick with birds.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Frank, recently I was browsing at a reptile store, and saw the most beautiful and exotic looking Black Tree Monitor.

I will never be able to look at a monitor lizard (of any kind) in the same way after seeing the pilot episode of "Fatal Attractions". In short, it was about a guy who lived in a tiny studio apartment with several large (and illegal) species of monitors. He basically adjusted his apartment for his reptiles in regard to temperature and particulars, and lived like he was living IN the monitors' enclosure! One day he got bit. It of course it got infected to the point he got very ill... The lizards were illegal, and he didn't want them confiscated at ANY COST for fear they wouldn't be taken care of very well, which is why he didn't call for help or go to the hospital!! Well, he died and his pets ate him. The neighbors called authorities after they hadn't seen the guy for a while, and a horrible stench was coming from his apartment!! They went into detail about the gruesome scene they found :eek:. I love that tv show, but I will never forget that episode! It was very gross and absolutely disturbing. :26: So disturbing I thought about it for days afterward. I think I'll stick with birds.

Hi,

I recall that event when it happened, some years back..Nile Monitors I believe; they are now established in Fla, pet trade releases...unfortunately we see that sort of extreme with all sorts of animals...reptiles, dogs, birds etc... As with your story, such people invariably ignore the hygiene- health aspects of animal ownership, and suffer infections, diseases, parasites and such; I've been involved in some here in NYC, one apartment had been more more or less "waterproofed" and turned into a 4-room swamp for 5 caimans; their owners, a married couple, waded around, created some "islands" on which to sleep, eat, etc...yikes! best, frank

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've been involved in some here in NYC, one apartment had been more more or less "waterproofed" and turned into a 4-room swamp for 5 caimans; their owners, a married couple, waded around, created some "islands" on which to sleep, eat, etc...yikes! best, frank

Where do they find these people :eek:!! YIKES is right!!

Thanks for the tree monitor article too. I also clicked on the link about Komodo Dragons... Now that's scary :eek:

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I've been involved in some here in NYC, one apartment had been more more or less "waterproofed" and turned into a 4-room swamp for 5 caimans; their owners, a married couple, waded around, created some "islands" on which to sleep, eat, etc...yikes! best, frank

Where do they find these people :eek:!! YIKES is right!!

Thanks for the tree monitor article too. I also clicked on the link about Komodo Dragons... Now that's scary :eek:

Komodos don't need to wait until their owners expire if they want a meal! Actually, they have killed people on Komodo.

Yes, even after a lifetime i this field I'm always surprised...a tiger in Manhtn, venomous snakes being kept all over the place...best, Frank

Most Reactions