Seriously considering a Macaw...

Bubbyboy

Oct 1, 2018
Parrots
Currently I only have my amazing Alexandrine, Bubby.
Hi guys, I am a frequent reader of parrot forums and finally decided to make an account today. The reason for this post is that I want opinions on Macaws as I am looking to purchase/Adopt a Blue and Gold macaw. First, I will outline my experience with birds.
As of now I only have one (very spoiled) Alexandrine parakeet who is about 5. In the past I have had much smaller birds, many parakeets, conures, and love birds. I have worked with large, dangerous animals such as snakes, restraining crocodiles, and have taken animal anatomy and physiology with lab (restraining, and treating more minor vet problems of reptiles and mammals) so I am no stranger to animals. I just applied for a job at the local exotic bird store as I am qualified enough to handle birds and read their body language. Right now I have a sudan plated lizard, two very sweet black labs and my parakeet I mentioned above (Bubby).
Since Bubby is my current bird, I will tell you about him and his care. Bubby is possibly the most spoiled bird I have ever seen as he gets showers every day with me and spends multiple hours out of cage with me while I do work. His favorite food is plain mashed potatoes and he just INHALES them. He is potty trained sort of. What I mean by that is he knows he has to poop before I take him out of his cage by saying “poo poo” but he can’t seem to hold it very long after. He’s quite a gentle bird and never bites me unless I am truly doing something wrong. He only warning bites. As a youngster he tended to be butte but through persistence I have broken that habit. He’s pretty good around most people but if they show they are nervous or move too quickly he does get spooked. Enough about Bubby though, as much as he’d like to think, everything is not all about him.
Through long deliberation and many forums read about Macaws and hand on experience, I have decided to save up some money. I do have a spacious home, no children, far enough neighbors away that a macaw call should not bother them (I know it is LOUD but it doesn’t bother me so much). I have adequate time to devote to this new bird and patience as I know they can be difficult (and destructive). I am willing and able to make life alterations for this bird of It does come up because if I do end up owning one, it is a serious commitment that I have made to a living soul that does in fact need me to survive. My birds will be able to go to my job with me at the bird store every day and socialize. Not to mention I will provide fresh fruits and vegetables every day for my birdies. I truly believe birds were meant to share a life with me and the special soul (Bubby) who chose me, will always be with me through thick and thin.
Is there anything else I should consider? I’m sorry to write a novel here but I think it is important for maximum understanding. I’m looking forward to hearing your guys insight! Thank you!!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome. You’d be hard pressed to find someone who sounds more prepared than you. Alexandrines are a great preparation; they are harder, especially if you are paying attention to the diet!

Have you given thought to the kind of macaw you want? Individual personality aside, they would largely all be very similar, with exception of a severe macaw - serious overbonding issues there.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I take that back; I was thinking of great bills and their diet, not alexandrines. But I’d still maintain if you can do an alexandrines, and macaw would be a reasonable leap.

OP
Bubbyboy

Bubbyboy

Oct 1, 2018
Parrots
Currently I only have my amazing Alexandrine, Bubby.
I take that back; I was thinking of great bills and their diet, not alexandrines. But I’d still maintain if you can do an alexandrines, and macaw would be a reasonable leap.
Hi!! Thanks for your input. I have done some reasearch and I’ve been thinking of a blue and gold macaw. Currently there are two I need to check out at my local bird store that are both rescues. Haven’t gotten too much info on either of them but I will get all the info I need once I visit and get a feel for their personalities. It’s always a gamble because their demeanor can change once you take them home.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
My first reaction is always: you work with loads of untested and possible sick birds - how will you not bring any of that home with you?
(PBFD etc just need a bit of featherdust to reach other birds and infect them)
I had a roul-roul with ornithosis at work and I had to strip of my outher clothes outside my front door to protect mine (and I have loads of neighbours!).

Back to macaws: having a tame parakeet (I know you call them parrots here ;) ) is nothing compared to a macaw.
I've had bonded african greys a huge chunk of my life and even that did not prepare me for the raw neediness of a macaw!

But if you are determined -- let the bird pick you! Always.

Most Reactions