Months old parrot Only knows how to runnnnnnn

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
I have a 3-4 months old eclectus Parrot named Apollo. He’s pretty defenceless as he doesn’t bite people, he only runs. It’s only been a few days since he’s home. Apollo eats, poops regularly and plays with his toys all day long which I take as he’s comfortable in this new environment.

Apollo is clipped when we got him. He doesn’t know the step up command. I accidentally left the cage unlocked this morning. The next thing I know, he’s standing on top of the cage. I tried using peas and corn to get him to step up but he wouldn’t budge. Then I tried target training (I trained him to react to the stick yesterday, it was a success!) still nothing. I had to leave the room so I gently grabbed him using a soft towel and put him back to his cage as he was shaking and didn’t know what was happening.

How to I get Apollo to trust me? He rather not get rewarded with a treat than stepping up. He’s used to being in his cage and doesn’t want to come out.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have a 3-4 months old eclectus Parrot named Apollo. He’s pretty defenceless as he doesn’t bite people, he only runs. It’s only been a few days since he’s home. Apollo eats, poops regularly and plays with his toys all day long which I take as he’s comfortable in this new environment.

Apollo is clipped when we got him. He doesn’t know the step up command. I accidentally left the cage unlocked this morning. The next thing I know, he’s standing on top of the cage. I tried using peas and corn to get him to step up but he wouldn’t budge. Then I tried target training (I trained him to react to the stick yesterday, it was a success!) still nothing. I had to leave the room so I gently grabbed him using a soft towel and put him back to his cage as he was shaking and didn’t know what was happening.

How to I get Apollo to trust me? He rather not get rewarded with a treat than stepping up. He’s used to being in his cage and doesn’t want to come out.
Apollo and Pepper also had trouble with that. Sorry, but peas and corn my not be a good enough treat. He needs something he's OBSESSED with. Also, when you leave the room for a short time, PLEASE don't towel him! Here's a great training thread for step-up:

OP
S

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
Thank you for your reply! I’ve read some books about eclectus parrot. Their digestive system differs from other birds so seeds might not be a good treat for them.

I thought maybe fruits and veggies might be a good idea. Should I try millet sprays? (Just a little)

Most Reactions

Latest posts