Mosquitos

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Hi all !

Mosquitos have been crazy here in LA California. Not sure why but they have been feeding off me like crazy ๐Ÿ˜“

In general how do I avoid my birbies to getting bite? They have not yet but I have become paranoid since i can not step foot outside without becoming a buffet ๐Ÿ˜“

Any healthy home remedies to repel?
FYI we have screen covers and are careful of the door when opening. But this is a just in case one slips in ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿฅฒ

Any suggestions or advice is/are aweome :)

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Hi all !

Mosquitos have been crazy here in LA California. Not sure why but they have been feeding off me like crazy ๐Ÿ˜“

In general how do I avoid my birbies to getting bite? They have not yet but I have become paranoid since i can not step foot outside without becoming a buffet ๐Ÿ˜“

Any healthy home remedies to repel?
FYI we have screen covers and are careful of the door when opening. But this is a just in case one slips in ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿฅฒ

Any suggestions or advice is/are aweome :)
I would make sure to keep the area the birds are in well lit and bright. Also would make sure to change water out frequently since mosquitos are attracted to water for laying eggs etc. Even things like plants will greatly attract mosquitos because of the water.

Since mosquito repellents are usually scented or incenses, it would not work near your bird(s). However there ARE ultrasound devices that keep bugs and mosquitos away that are harmless to pets. Maybe you could look into one of those! :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you are wearing 'the sign' Free Blood!! It is highly recommended that you use a repellent preferability without a scent. A pump style if you can one. Wash before handling your Parrots!! NOTE: Replace yearly!!

Not sure regarding your area but ours have Lime disease, which is not something you want to catch.

Remove water sources from you home's landscape. Reduce bushes and clear area around your home. The goal is to provide few if any places for them to gather /reproduce. Keeping the exterior of your home from being an area attracting them will help you and limit the numbers around your home that could enter or ride into your home.

I am not aware of anything that can be applied to or provided that will keep them away from your Parrots.

Truly great advice provided above.

OP
jeninec11769

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
@ifnlovebirds @SailBoat awesome advice! Thank you
We are renting where we live so I canโ€™t do much as far as my landlords landscaping but our proche area does remain clean .

Hmm I was not aware of replentant I can use, I read that it is bad for my birdies so I avoid it at all costs and pay the price myself ๐Ÿฅฒ (these bites are no joke so itchy!)
I do clean their cages regularly (daily ) and with fresh food and water. So this is very helpful.

Thank you for the advice and insight :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The name brand products have come a very long way and most people can use them with no ill effect. That said, they should always be used in limited volume and away from your face. The product cleans off with easy with a lightly soaped wash cloth and a fresh water rise. You will find life outside much nicer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts