so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I hope you can get things straightend out .

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I did! I called her today and we chatted and I am pre-emptively making a vet appointment with the assumption that if all goes well he comes home with us Sunday! We'll set him up in our master bedroom so that he's far away from Kirby for quarantine.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I did the same thing when I bought Bella.
Made the vet apt before I was able to bring her home.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
So, weird line of inquiry, but here we goā€¦

For whatever reason, Sammy is currently housed in a cat kennel. I havenā€™t seen it yet, but owner says itā€™s this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...=1648690816&sprefix=cat+kennel,aps,160&sr=8-5

Itā€™s 36w x 22d x 50h. Bar spacing is massive; 1.75 in. Iā€™ve actually owned one of these before (but I used it for a rescue kitten until she was big enough to be safe out and about on her own, not a parrotā€¦). I am looking to replace it with a real parrot cage, as I assume the coating on these kennels is not meant to stand up to beaks, and I cannot imagine itā€™s easy to clean.

I donā€™t know for sure how long heā€™s been in this set up. I am shopping for cages online (I have a very small car and the cost of gas/per mileage on a Uhaul right now is absurd) however, and having trouble finding cages with bigger than 1/2in - 3/4in bar spacing. Kirbyā€™s current cage for reference is 1 in bar spacing. I know having too big bar spacing is bad because they can get their head stuck, but what about too small? Is the only risk that theyā€™ll break the cage bars somehow?

I didnā€™t have to worry about that with our cockatiel, and Kirby came with a really nice cage, so any insight would be appreciated!

I wasnā€™t sure if I should make a new thread for this or not - sorry!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
The bars are also, light weight compared to a Parrot cage. I like the 1/2 / 5/8" spacing, but that is just me!
Oh, well dang! Then I guess the one we liked was fine, it was 1/2 inch. I thought maybe that would be too small, but I donā€™t know why I thought that. The overall sqft inside is a little bigger than Kirbyā€™s cage and itā€™s a corner cage which will fit perfectly into the part of the office Iā€™d like to set it up; so heā€™ll be across the playgym from Kirby and not next to him in case they donā€™t hit it off.

I wonder then if the 1 inch is too big for Kirby, but heā€™s never seemed to have trouble with it, and Iā€™ve never seen him try to stick his face through the bars; I suspect his head is a little too wide to fit.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The method of determining the precise bar width is to measure the distance between the eyes (use your finger's knuckles and measure it).

I choose the smaller distances because our big DYH Amazon likes to set his beak between the spacing and twist. He could easily not fit between the 1" spacing, but he had already bent one of those wider on his older cage.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
The method of determining the precise bar width is to measure the distance between the eyes (use your finger's knuckles and measure it).

I choose the smaller distances because our big DYH Amazon likes to set his beak between the spacing and twist. He could easily not fit between the 1" spacing, but he had already bent one of those wider on his older cage.
Ah, yeah, I remember reading that (one of your posts, probably, heh). Kirby uses the bars to wipe his beak, and to climb, but heā€™s never made any effort to chew or bend them. If I ever see him do anything close to that though Iā€™ll definitely look into smaller bar spacing!

Those are some serious ā€œJurassic Parkā€ vibes re: bending the cage bars though. :ROFLMAO:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It depends on the quality of the cage. I have one type the bars would easily bend with birds larger stronger beaks than my quakers .
But my others are well made and pretty darn strong ....but haven't been Amazon tested. But I can't bend them.

2 more days!!! Excited for you

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
It depends on the quality of the cage. I have one type the bars would easily bend with birds larger stronger beaks than my quakers .
But my others are well made and pretty darn strong ....but haven't been Amazon tested. But I can't bend them.

2 more days!!! Excited for you
Ha, Iā€™m excited but also anxious. Unlike Kirby (to be clear I mean when we got him; Kirby might as well have a frequent flier card at his vet given that heā€™s there every other month it seems) heā€™s seen a vet in the last year, but he didnā€™t get blood work so all I know for sure is heā€™s overweight and the vet wanted him off seeds. I donā€™t know how clean his cage is or if he has any toys or normal perches- I donā€™t know that any of the perches I use would have worked with that cat kennel thing with much success. Heā€™s an hour away from us so Iā€™m also trying to decide if I think we can get him home before the parrot store closes in case we need new perches etc.

My oldest kid is also having a birthday party this Saturday. Packed weekend! Not at the house though - at a cat cafe. Our dogs are little and get nervous around too many people.

So, do you think itā€™s safe to bring Kirby along? Heā€™d be stuck in an enclosed car with Sammy on the drive home (so shared/circulated air). Vet reccomendation was ofc not to bring to be maximally safe. She also pointed out introducing them in Sammyā€™s home turf was more likely to go poorly than doing the reverse. But, it would also be nice to see his reaction to another bird before hand.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well...I probably wouldn't bring Kirby. As this might be a high stress , high emotional time for the new one. Myself would want introducing to be as happy calm as possible. I think first impressions matter. I work hard to Jolly mine up and have them calm and happy when I do introducing. I like them to get used to seeing each other across the room for awhile . Then walk by with treats. Or pulling up a chair a few feet away and hang out with one while the other is caged and switching. This has led to the greatest and smoothest introducing with mine.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Well, he has made my car smell like cigarettes, but here he is!

He keeps trying to regurgitate for me. She said sheā€™s never seen him take to new people so quickly. He is a chatterbox and a character. Heā€™s also amped up on seeds and treats and is like a toddler full of skittles- he almost nailed me twice.

Seriously though, I donā€™t smoke and I didnā€™t know parrot feathers could carry the smell like this - itā€™s going to be a very long drive home. Heā€™s getting a nice shower with the mister for sure.

Also - lol, the kids are in the car and canā€™t stop laughing because he knows how to blow raspberries and makes R2-D2 noisesā€¦

Attachments

• 7740535D-82C9-42B8-AA9B-FC3F2DC13992.jpeg
    7740535D-82C9-42B8-AA9B-FC3F2DC13992.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 81

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Oh my gosh, look how he looks at you! šŸ˜šŸ„°šŸ˜

I'm so happy for him! It sounds like he already fits right in with your kids šŸ˜‚

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
What a sweet bird.
That your bird is regurgitating to you is a good sign he likes you.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Wow. I have never been made to realize so swiftly how lucky we got with Kirby. Sammy is so loud. And it wouldnā€™t bother me if he wasnā€™t so *suddenly* loud. He doesnā€™t seem to work his way up to it like Kirby does. He also seems to go from docile to overstimulated very quickly.

Whew. Iā€™m trying not to stress. He didnā€™t have any toys or perches so we made a large monetary donation to the parrot store on the way home. Hopefully heā€™ll take to one of them.

Edited to add: Just feeling really overwhelmed. When we saw the situation he was in I felt like I had to do something but now that we are home I kind of want to cry and freak out, heh. This is a lot more bird than Kirby. I couldnā€™t leave him but I am stressed to the max.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Donā€™t be stressed, it will make things worse.

when my Amazons scream there is always a reason for it.
ā€I want what you have ā€œ usually food.
ā€I want you to watch/see meā€.
ā€I want outā€.
Sometimes just knowing the reason doesnā€™t help.
Luna & Merlin both scream when Bingo is playing with his toys.

my yellow nape does work up to his scream and he almost never goes at top volume.

my red headded Amazons make up for Bingoā€™s restraint and they go at full volume when you are at closest approach.

Overstimulation is tricky but in time you will learn his limits.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Thanks texsize. I have to assume heā€™s just overwhelmed with his situation and thatā€™s why heā€™s yelling. He quieted down a bit now. My partner is thinking about taking him ā€œto workā€ in her shed-office for during the day to give me a break & so I can spend time with Kirby. Iā€™m not sure why his noise level bothers me when Kirbyā€™s doesnā€™t, but itā€™s probably just general anxiousness about taking on a second parrot.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
A208FF51-F519-45D9-90CD-63F944624FB2.jpeg

You know what, it was 6pm when I made the post about noise! Totally forgot itā€™s their fav time to go ballistic. Little guy is purring and all set up in his very very temporary current cage (i.e. the cat kennel he came with) in my partners office (yes, thereā€™s an air filter, and he already smells less like cigarettes). My partner is in her office from like 7-8am to 6pm and then again at 9, so he wonā€™t be lonely. I canā€™t get over how cute he is. And he ate his veggies right after this photo!! :love::love::love:

Definitely going to get more perchesā€¦ didnā€™t want to overwhelm him. The store we went to was short on large bird perches so Iā€™ll have to hit the other parrot store at some point this week. Also this cage is flimsy as heck and itā€™s difficult to put them on it, so I think we will be shopping local for a replacement rather than ordering one - itā€™s more expensive but I can get it more quickly, unless I get lucky with a couple feelers I put out on Craigslist.

And now itā€™s time for me to shower and then give Kirby some much deserved attention- heā€™s been so patient today watching running around like crazy.

ETA: his previous owner was really worried about him and asked us to send a video of his new digs, so we obliged. It must be really hard on her too. I know his set up wasnā€™t really ideal but folks can get real overwhelmed and she seems like she really loves him and wanted what was best.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts